SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 1999-09 > 0938291888

From: Ken Markham< >
Subject: Ferreira ... ... ...
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 22:38:08 +0200

Mye Goodye Cosines,

Here is a transcript of an original typed document in my
possession. I can not vouch for the accuracy of this information.
Most original spelling is used. The document is typed and not
signed.

Name. Thomas Ignatius Ferreira, (Farmer).
Address. Mayfield, P.O. Box Chipinga
S. Rhodesia,
Age. 81 Years, 5 months.

Born the 3rd. November 1853 at Ratelshoek, Cradock district
C.P. Educated by Michiel Burky on Mr. John Steyn's Farm
in Cradock District.

Married Maria Steyn at Cradock on the 2nd. March 1874. When the
father of three children he volontered for service in the Basuto
War 1880 and served under Commander Van Wyk, and Coloner
Garrington. One day after a strennous fight having fired more than
800 cartridges neither eating or drinking all day - I rescued a
friend Mr. Croykamp who had been badly wounded - I was offered the
V.C. for this act which I refused.

The Whites were victorious in 1881, In 1895 I trekked to Gazaland.
In Kroonstad we joined the Steyn and Henry trek, Arriving in
Melsetter in 1895 - The trek having taken 9 months.

I lost my late wife on Bloemhof Farm Melsetter, also 2 of my sons.
I am today living with my son John Ferreira in the Chipinga
District.

27 APR 1935 [Date stamp on document]

[Hand-written note at bottom of sheet]

Died July 23rd 1935 (Chigwe)
Buried Chigwe Farm, Melsetter.

Yours Sincerely,
Sir Ken Markham, K.C.B., (95),
[A Phenomenal Researcher In The Mists Of Time]

This thread: