SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2000-02 > 0951199125

From: Peter Church <>
Subject: RE: EA JOUBERT (Born CHURCH)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:58:45 +0200

EA Joubert was born Ellen Anna Church. She was born in 1881 and christened
in the Dutch Reformed Church. She was the last of about 13 children born to
John Charles Church(born Cambridgeshire 1830 died 1898), a doctor, who
settled and farmed in the Barkly East region. His wife was Elizabeth
Margeret Van Zyl (born 1840, died 1922). I would imagine that the street
was named after John Charles although most streets named Church Street in SA
are named so because there is a physical Church at the top of the street.
John Charles is the reason for many of the Church families spread out across
South Africa today. One of the other daughters, Alice Mary also married a
Joubert, perhaps a brother?

This thread: