SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2000-03 > 0953949612

From: Steve Hayes <>
Subject: RE: Holloway-Haines-Bryson connection
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:12 +0200

On 24 Mar 00, at 9:51, Caspar du Toit wrote:

> Am I wrong in thinking that the South African REPUBLIC became a republic
> in 1961 with Verwoerd. Was it not just Zuid Afrika before?

No, that was (and is) the Republic of South Africa, which was (and
is) the country that came into existence in 1910 as the Union of
south Africa.

The South African Republic (Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek) lasted
until 1902, and at its greatest extent included the Transvaal and the
Utrecht and Vryheid districts of Natal. Its first president was
Pretorius and the last was Paul Kruger.

Keep well,

Steve Hayes
Web: http://www.geocities.com/hayesstw/steve.htm