SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2000-12 > 0976043141

From: "Millicent & Hugh" <>
Subject: Re: effing [was MOOC, MHG]
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:05:41 +0200

Hi Maureen
Try JPL - or any large public library with an Africana collection. Or
University or Technikon Libraries, you might strike it lucky. There are
also 'Precis of the Archives of the Cape of Good Hope 1715-1806' by
Leibbrandt & also 'Kaapse Archiefstukken lopende over het jaar 1783' by
Jeffreys, not to mention, what are now know as the Government Gazettes, from
about 1800. They are a MINE of information. How very fortunate of you to
get your own copy of the 'African Calendar' for 1802, & thanks so much for
your offer to share its contents.
Regards
Millicent

Maureen wrote:
I went on one of my book-hunting jaunts yesterday & found a little
(16X10cm) facsimile copy published by the South African Library in 1972 of
the "African Kalendar for MDCCCII [1802]" which mentions the Orphan Chamber
& I've been wondering ever since what this Orphan Chamber was all about.
[Precursor]...To the Cape Almanac Series -- I'll definitely be looking out
for more. My first question is: where are all these wonderful directories
housed.
And, John, don't forget to explain what the Orphan Chamber was!