SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2001-05 > 0990088547

From: CRAIG AND LISETTE COUSINS <>
Subject: THE CHILDREN'S FRIEND SOCIETY
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:35:47 +0200

Dear Listers,

The CFS was founded in 1830 by Captain Edward pelham Brenton and run by a group of wealthy philanthropists with the cooperation of the British Government.
Their stated objects was "to reclaim and provide for vagrant children found in the streets without any means of subsistence except by begging or thieving..."
The children were sent to British Colonies which included the Cape of Good Hope, Canada, Mauritius and Australia.

I will send a list of all the Children sent to South Africa in order of date and what ship they came out on, over the next few days. If you have any queries I will do my utmost to check them out for you. Please note that all information is taken from the book "The Children's Friend Society" written by Geoff Blackburn. whose permission has been obtained to pass on the information regarding the children sent to South Africa.

SHIP 01:
PER SHIP "CHARLES KERR" CAPTAIN BRODIE, FOR CAPE TOWN, CAPE OF GOOD HOPE, JANUARY 23 1835:

NAME OF APPRENTICE: NAME OF MASTER& IN WHAT CAPACITY:

DANIEL GOLDING WILLIAM DICKSON AS A STORE CLERK & STOREKEEPER
JOHN BOLTER JOSEPH UPJOHN AS A GARDENER
CHARLES F. RAHTERT JOHN SAUNDERS AS A COOK & CONFECTIONER
GEORGE PELTERET R.W.EATON AS A HOUSE SERVANT
ISAAC SCHNEBELIE
alias G.WILSON J.JOHNSTONE AS A BUTCHER
GEORGE MURRAY EDWARD GEORGE AS A GARDENER
WILLIAM ROBERTS J.M.SPANGENBURG AS BLACKSMITH & WHEELWRIGHT
DANIEL KEEF R.J.JONES AS HOUSE AND STORE SERVANT
PAUL MCGRATH SIR JOHN WYLDE AS GROOM & HOUSE SERVANT
WILLIAM HAGUE, alias
HAKE P.B.BOCHERDS AS GARDENER & HOUSE SERVANT
EDWARD MORRIS JOSEPH LAWTON AS A TINSMITH
WM. JONES alias
JOHN PARKER WILLIAN THOMPSON AS HOUSE SERVANT
ROBERT GRIMES REV.JAMES EDGAR AS HOUSE SERVANT & GARDENER
ALFRED CLARKE C.W.LUTTERMAN AS HOUSE SERVANT & GARDENER
DENNIS DONOVAN L. AMSTONG AS HOUSE SERVANT & GROOM
JOHN BERRY JOHN MURRAY AS HOUSE SERVANT
JOHN PORTER EDWARD HOLL AS A TAILOR
CHARLES ADSHADE, alias
HATCHETT THOMAS MATTHEW AS A COOPER
JOHN WEBB FREDERICK DUCKETT AS A FARMER
EDWARD GORMAN WILLIAM HUTCHONS AS A SAILMAKER

SHIP 2 TO FOLLOW
Regards
Lisette & Craig
(not signed as sent by email)