SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2001-07 > 0994360687

From: Ken Louw <>
Subject: Pieter Jonker b3c1d3 and Venter
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 07:18:07 +1200

Dear Keith and Bill,

Thanks for the detail from the "Voortrekker Stamouers" publication.

The 'proof' that I need and which has eluded me for years now is of my
g-grandfather Pieter Theunis Barend Christiaan Jonker being their son.
He seems to have been born on 6/6/1836 somewhere "op trek" between
Grahamstown and Thaba Nchu, but the baptismal record is not included in
the "Trekregisters".
So I am a bit at a loss about where the most likely place would be to
search for it.
Can anyone perhaps explain to me which records were included in the
"Trekregisters", and which thus perhaps not - which may narrow down my
search?
Were records from as early as 1836-1840 included?

I suspect the family (that of my g-g-grandfather Pieter Theunis Barend
Christiaan Jonker at least) eventually settled in the Zoutpansberg area
and later Potchefstroom. Is there perhaps any mention made of any
Jonkers there, or to my g-g-grandfather PTBC Jonker?
These Jonkers seemed to have had close ties with a Venter family (that
of Pieter Johannes Lodewyk and his wife Maria Elizabeth nee Combrink),
which trekked northwards about the same time. My g-g-grandfather(B 1836)
seemed to have been friends with their son Jacobus Daniel Venter
(b3c2d1e5f2g1, b1832) who also settled in the Zoutpansberg area, and in
fact his second marriage was to the latter's daughter Maria Dorothea
Elizabeth Venter (much younger than him, of course).
Is there perhaps any mention in this book of any of these Venters?

Thanks for the much appreciated assistance!

Kind regards,
Martina Louw.
(New Zealand)

This thread: