SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2001-07 > 0995238344

From: "Bernie Cramer" <>
Subject: Re: new branches to my family tree - BRADLEY/DURRANT
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 01:05:44 +0200

Hello Janis and fellow Listers,
The Byrne Party, did they settle in Botha's hill
area or did they settle in the midlands in York? I seem to remember a
web site about the Byrne Party settling in York, on the way to
Greytown, there was a map of York with the streets laid out in a neat
grid pattern etc. Well last week, Thursday on my way back from
Greytown, I took the road to YORK, 11km's from the main road, well
what a great surprise, there is no YORK!!, only an old church building
with about 100 graves around it, a mud adobe house about to fall down
and pine and gum trees every where. had I had a digital camera with, I
would have photographed all the head stones, these would be a great
source of genealogical information, I don't know if these graves have
been cataloged or recorded on any cemetery lists or other.I'm thinking
of going back there for a good look about and maybe do some
transcripts from head stones. I'm very interested in finding out about
why YORK faded away, as I've been told that it was a popular stopping
place on the way to Greytown in the late 1800's , You all have a good
Sunday,
Regards, Bernie,