SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2001-07 > 0995410535

From: Keith Meintjes <>
Subject: Vereeniging
Date: 17 Jul 2001 18:55:35 EDT

I seem to be having a bad day. I got both C. Graham Botha and Vereeniging
wrong.

Vic has supplied info. on Botha's books. In the USA, I got them through
inter-library loan some time ago. If USA listers want to know how to do this,
contact me off-list.

Vereeniging, the town. An Afrikaans (Dutch?) word meaning union, federation,
association ...

I quote Rosenthal's Encyclopaedia of Southern Africa:

VEREENIGING: Town in the Southern Transvaal on the Vaal River. Founded in
1892 and named after the original owners, the "Suid Afrikaanse en Oranje
Vrijstaatse Kolen en Mineralen Myn Vereeniging". (SA and OFS Coal and Mineral
Mining Association.) The name has no reference to attempts at political union

So there.

Can we vote on this?

Best wishes
Keith