SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2001-07 > 0996013777

From: Keith Meintjes <>
Subject: Re: [MEINTJES]
Date: 24 Jul 2001 18:29:37 EDT

Bernie,

This is the SA Genealogy Letter/Number system devised by (probably) someone
like C.C. de Villiers. (I could look it up ...)

The progenitor (father of a child born in SA) is "a". If there were brothers,
(and if their father had no more children born in SA?) then they are a1, a2,
... The three de Villiers brothers are an example.

The first child of an "a" is b1. Then, b2, b3, etc. The eldest child of any
"b" is c1. etc., etc.

You will find this numbering system used in de Villiers / Pama, SA
Genealogies, etc. (including the Meintjes family book). The reason I quoted
the numbers is to make the person easy to find in the references.

Best wishes
Keith

"Bernie Cramer" <> wrote:
Hi Keith,
Please explain the numbers and letters above the James
Burnett MEINTJES.
Regards, Bernie.