SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2002-07 > 1025717421

From: drw <>
Subject: [ZA] An Intro... Walker, Crofton, Morris, Turner family
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 19:30:21 +0200

Having just signed up this week I thought it was about time to post an
intro of sorts. My name is Derek and as you can see from the subject line
my interest lie in Walker, Crofton, Morris, and Turner family lines. The
Walker side of the family is very murky, all information I do have is of My
fathers father.. who was James Walker (aka Jimmy), his wife being Rose
Crofton.
On my mothers side I do have quite a bit of information, however, my
Grandmother, (Morris) birth records do not seem to appear in the UK which
was wear she was born, while I have almost no information on where my
grandfather (Herbert Turner) was born (apparently Grahamstown). If anybody
could shed any light for me... I would appreciate it.

My second question is as follows, what alternatives do we have to obtain
records from Home affairs, I have been waiting now since 1998 for my own
unabridged birth certificate, is there anybody one can approach at HA
directly to obtain these records without going through local offices? And
does anybody know if records of migrants to this country who arrived by
ship are held here at all.. or are would the country they migrated from
hold these??

Any information or leads would be helpful.
Derek Walker.

This thread: