SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2002-07 > 1025803918

From: drw <>
Subject: [ZA] Morris, Turner family
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 19:31:58 +0200

The Morris family which my grandmother originates from was in the UK, it
was said she was born with the sound of the Bowbells but apar from a
birthdate thats about all info I have on her. Somewhere amongst my stuff is
a GED file with the little bit of genealogy I have been able to glean from
remaining family members.
Regarding the Turner side of the family, now that is a mystery, He was
born on 2 December 1894 in Grahamstown and family lore says that he when he
came back from World War 1 he had been disowned by his family and
subsequently didnt want to know anything about them. He married Lilian
Morris in Jan 1919 and eventually settled in Bethlehem where the name
Sumner comes into the pciture as does Fernandez. I doubt if there are any
Morris descendants from her family although there was always talk of an
opera singer.....

Derek Walker

>I have a few records of the descendants of James MORRIS (b. 18.08.1817 -
>Ashby de la Zouch d. 16.03.1904 - Cape Town) and owned the small farm
>Ecklenburg in Rondebosch in the 1850's. There is also a MORRIS family
>"plot" in Maitland Cemetery.

This thread: