SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2002-11 > 1038562680

From: (Derek Griffis)
Subject: Re: [ZA] Griffis
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:38:00 GMT+12

Thanking Anne LEHMKUHL (27/11) and Pat FRYKBERG (28/11) for their
messages and suggestions. If the Fort is to be one of those names
suggested, and after re-examining the photocopy under a magnifying
glass, then I should think that it is Fort Pearson.

D&PF>From:
D&PF>To:
D&PF>Derek, I have a copy of "The Invasion of Zululand" 1879 Sonia
D&PF> Clarke. Fort
D&PF>mentioned are Cambridge,Chelmsford,Crealock Evelyn, George,
D&PF> Marshal,
D&PF>Pearson,Tenedos. There is also mention of the native contingents
D&PF> and the N
D&PF>atal Native Pioneers. But no specific mention of Griffis. Another
D&PF> book
D&PF>"Field guide to the War in Zululand 1879" Laband & Thompson has a
D&PF> huge li
D&PF>and pictures/layouts of dozens more forts.
D&PF>How about lending these to you? Good holiday reading!
D&PF>Pat

Pat,

Thank you for that offer. I have read "They Fell Like Stones", and
have
had "Casualty Roll for the Zulu and Basuto Wars" checked, but with no
success. Those two books you mention sound interesting, and yes please
I would like to borrow them.

Is that you in Havelock North? I ask as I expect to be passing through
Hawkes Bay in about a fortnights time on the way up from Waikanae to
Lake Waikaremoana where I plan to do a spot of tramping. If it were
convenient, I could collect them on the way. When would you want them
to be returned?

Derek
___-------------------------------------------------------------------
D&PF>-----Original Message-----
D&PF>From: Derek Griffis <>
D&PF>Date: Wednesday, 27 November 2002 07:25 PM

D&PF>>In recent months, good progress has been made in tracing my
D&PF> GRIFFIS
D&PF>>relatives in South Africa (special thanks to Dennis PRETORIUS and
D&PF>>Bernie
D&PF>>CRAMER for all their assistance).
D&PF>>I have just received a photocopy of the Death Notice
D&PF> (NAB/MSCE/LEER
D&PF>>5/40
D&PF>>Pt 1) John Patrick GRIFFIS, Lieutenant Native Pioneers, died
D&PF> 20.1.1879.
D&PF>>The place of death I cannot decipher, but seems to be Fort Bream,
D&PF> or
D&PF>>possibly, Fort Pream. Can anyone with local knowledge tell me
D&PF> what the
D&PF>>name of that fort might be, and if so, also tell me exactly where
D&PF> it
D&PF>>is?
D&PF>>Derek GRIFFIS,
D&PF>>Waikanae, New Zealand
___
X OLX 2.1 TD X Research: GRIFFIS, RUTLAND, EASTMENT, CAMERON (NZ only)

This thread: