SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-03 > 1048255603

From: "Kathy O'Reilly" <>
Subject: Fw: [ZA] Hamilton, Fielding and Captain Barnes
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:06:43 +0200

Dear Ivy,

In going through some old e-m's to the List I discovered this one of yours.
I wonder if the William HAMILTON - which your "very distant family
connection in Australia" refers to - was my gr. gr. gr. grandmother,
Catherine Frances HAMILTON' s brother? I recently found a reference in the
St. George's Anglican Church 'A1939' files held at the Cape Archives which
reads: "On 12.4.1850 Wlliam HAMILTON, aged ?41 (could also be 51 - writing
not clear!), Merchant, of Sir Lowry Road, Cape Town, was buried in Plot 364,
St. George's Burial Grounds, Cape Town". At the time, Catherine and her
husband, Francis Bernard FIELDING lived next door to William HAMILTON in Sir
Lowry Road, Cape Town. Catherine and Francis Bernard were buried in plots
341 and 377 in February 1850 and February 1852 respectively. Unfortunately
the St. George's Burial Grounds don't exist any more and the remains were
reinterred at nearby Maitland Cemetery. Of interest is that two of the
Fielding couple's children were named 'Henry' and 'William'. The names
'John', 'Jane', 'Elizabeth' and 'Dorothy' also occur regularly in my
Fielding family.

I notice your cousin mentions that William and Elizabeth HAMILTON "got
married in 1839 in Caledon, Transvaal". Must have been Caledon, Cape as
there is no Caledon in the Transvaal! I could perhaps try and track down
this marriage for your cousin at the Cape Archives.

I have been trying to track down Catherine's HAMILTON family for years and
have no idea who her parents were or where they came from. I do know that
Catherine and Francis got married in the Ballmoden Parish, in Bandon, near
Cork, Ireland in 1817 - but this marriage was frowned upon by Francis
Bernard FIELDING's mother, Elizabeth CAMPBELL of the Campbells of the House
of Argylle, Scotland (her brother was the heir to the Dukedom of Argylle) as
Catherine was not considered "highborn" enough for her son! Francis and
Catherine came out to the Cape with the 98th Regiment in December 1824 and
were a devoted couple, she literally pining away within 2 years after his
death..

Your "distant cousin" wouldn't happen to know whether John and Elizabeth
HAMILTON had a daughter, Catherine Frances HAMILTON, born between 1797 and
1799? If you have an e-m address for them I would be ecstatic. Sorry I can't
help you with your BARNES connection, Ivy - I do hope that by now someone
else has been able to do so.

Regards,
Kathy