SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-04 > 1049281519

From: Pat Smith <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Surname Changes
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:05:19 +0200

Hello Listers,

It seems possible that the policy/requirement regarding name changes
existed in the 19th century as one of my great grandfathers changed his
surname in 1871 and I have a very tattered copy of the Government Gazette
published in Bloemfontein on 24 May 1871 in which the name
change appears. Reasons for wanting to change his name do not appear in
the Gazette but it is possible that reasons were published in prior
editions of the same publication.

Regards,

Pat Smith

At 15:34 4/1/03 +0200 today in history, Gerda Pieterse wrote the following:
>Hi Pam,
>
> From the time we arrived in SA in 1958 up to 1994 surname changes and the
>reason why a person wanted to have a surname changed had to be advertised
>for three successive weeks in at least two main two local newspapers. One in
>each language. These ads usually appeared on Fridays. Of course I don't know
>if this was already the case as early on as 1908, but it's worth a try.
>
>and Original Message -----

snip

> > What I am asking is, are there any records in South Africa that would
>show
> > the previous surname of a child whose surname had been changed to RENNEY.

This thread: