SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-04 > 1049666326

From: "Dennis Pretorius" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] JACOBSDAL where is it ?
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:58:46 +0200

Hallo Bernie

You have just made the discovery that took me many years to make - that
there is a Jacobsdal in Transvaal. No, it is not a farm but a town (or
rather a Village) about 12 km south of Zeerust on the road to Mafeking. The
village was, for a while, a major trading post for the Big Game Hunters on
the way to Bechuanaland but lost its importance when the town Zeerust was
proclaimed and became the seat of the Landrost etc etc.

There is a cemetery next to the village. Both the village and the cemetery
is on the old farm Vergenoeg - but not the one which used to belong to Kmdt
Viljoen - the other Vergenoeg that was farmed by Jacobs - the Big Game
Hunter

My Mc Donald and Scott ancestors lived in Jacobsdal for a period of about 15
years befor 1885.

Kind regards

Dennis Pretorius
Family History Researcher