SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-04 > 1049984891

From: "sharon marshall" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Dealing with the past
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:28:11 +0200

This is wonderful - and there I thought I was being so innovative! The
disdavantaged question is my big worry as well - in cases like this, one
wonders whether doing afamily tree then wouldn't be used as a tool for
discrimination. Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive though - being a
politicised Generation X South African...
What this does again point to though is the huge need for resources to track
down "disadvantaged" past generations, and the need for a news group for
this purpose (BTW, Steve, thanks for your offer re webspace - could be just
the place.... )
The other question it prompts is: what happens to these family trees that
children research? Once again, wouldn't it be wonderful if all this data
could be put on a collective website? Would help all genies, as well as
fostering an ongoing interest for younger and future generations...
Perhaps children sent to detention could transcribe death notices, or given
historical type projects...far-fetched though it may sound, I know one
lecturer who instilled a healthy respect for nature in many students by
taking them for long walks in the forest and expounding on Latin names and
origins etc.
In yesterday's paper I noticed an article inviting applications to the
Department of Arts, Culture and Heritage for projects to enrich SA cultural
knowledge (funding provided to successful ones) and I couldn't help
wondering whether there was a niche for this sort of project (maybe somehow
linked with free internet facilities at libraries, planting of trees,
graveyard tours or whatever...). I really would love to hear from any other
interested parties - perhaps we can get a plan together. There's also the
question of dysfunctional archives departments in EC etc...all could be
included; and maybe a few documentaries, newsletter etc could be made to
elucidate and educate...

Yet another unrelated question, is DNA testing available in SA for genetic
tracking?
I still would love to find that link to the red Indians fostered by an
unfaithful US Collett...
(grin)
Sharon