SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-04 > 1051153110

From: "sharon marshall" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] DAGGABOERSNEK and place names
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 04:58:30 +0200

I guess you mean the "un-toxic" version of hemp - apparently there are
experimental plantations in Transkei to suss out its viability. Not sure how
far it's got though. There's a hemp shop in Cape Town, but they charge the
earth, and I've heard it's all imported anyway. And if any is produced here,
it probably goes the same way as our fruit - overseas. At one stage, I know
there was a roaring black-market trade via Switzerland - for both varieties,
I would imagine. Maybe why NZ got scared (if they did...)
BTW, when you say it was a respectable occupation here, did you mean the
inhaled variety? Though I seem to remember reading somewhere that dagga was
used for the floors of huts, but I didn't connect the two. I thought it was
possibly another Afro-Dutch word for cow dung...
And now I've done what I should have done in the beginning...looked it up in
the trusty SA pocket Oxford dictionary which I always forget I have...
Dagga 1. wild hemp (marijuana) smoked as narcotic. (Khoi daxah)
Dagga 2. (also dagha) mortar; mixture for building or smearing floors or
huts (Nguni -daka, mud or mortar)
I've answered my own question - I don't suppose this was the stuff
advertised for sale; or that farmers were known for their mortar mixing
skills. Far-fetched though it may sound, the TROLLIPS whose name is
synonymous with Daggaboer Farm were very definitely known as fine masons!
Now there's a respectable thought...
Sharon

PS Interesting that the narcotic version comes from the Khoi and it was them
who were said to have dubbed the name Daggaboer. But then they may have
misunderstood what the Xhosas were saying when building their huts. Hardly
likely...the clicks wouldbe very different, wouldn't they?