SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-07 > 1057323130

From: "Deborah" <>
Subject: RE: [ZA] Info required on Albania settlers
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:55:23 +0200

Hi Helen,
Thanks for asking, I'm researching HOBBS and BROWN... I know that James
Henry HOBBS moved to Vryburg and must have moved with his family, as I am
aware of at least 4 or 5 of the siblings on the HOBBS side living in
Vryburg. But I have no idea what compelled them to leave the Eastern Cape
and move to such a desolate place. I also know that Philip HOBBS, Jame's
brother, moved to the Lindley area. I have studied maps trying to figure
out why they moved north, and I'm sure it was a question of owning their own
land, but I wanted to know why they left, did they leave in a group, as a
family, individually and by word of mouth? Full of questions, and no real
answers.... I also wonder if James and PHilip left together, and then took
diversified paths. I've copied this email to Herman, as his family line is
Philip, and my husband's is James Henry...
Kind regards
Deborah.