SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-07 > 1058316272

From: "sharon marshall" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Devenish Family in South Africa
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:44:32 +0200

Hi Joe,
So glad this came up-
Firstly, I'm sure your STRITCH is STRETCH.
2. Do you have info from Paul Tanner-Tremaine - if not, I can send - last
time I looked he had 11 children for this couple, only one of whom he has
descendants for - John Donald DEVENISH.
3. My interest is Charles St Leger STRETCH who married Johanna Jacoba
ADENDORFF (b5 Jun 1816) - if you have any connection to him, I would be most
grateful. Date-wise, it seems logical he might be a sibling of James St
Leger STRETCH (b 1822, son of Charles Lennox Stretch and Anna Hart). Tessa
King has this person on her lists, but I'm not sure what the connection is.
4. Do you know if your John Meares DEVENISH is related to the mother of
Ellen St Leger STRETCH (her parents are James St Leger STRETCH and Catherine
DEVENISH) - perhaps one of those first-cousin marriages? According to Paul,
children of James St Leger Stretch are Ellen St Leger, Richard Aldworth,
Catherine, Susan and Charles Lennox.

Hope this helps both of us,
Sharon