SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2003-09 > 1063674347

From: "Lynn MacLeod" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Putting the fun back into genealogy
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:05:47 +1200

Hi Ellen
From Rosenthal - Encyclopaedia of SA

BADEN-POWELL, Lord Robert Stephenson Smyth
British soldier. Founder of Boy Scout Movement, which
brought him lasting fame. Born in England 22/2/1857,
educated at Charterhouse. When 19 joined and served
with Royal Hussars in India, Afghanistan and, in 1887,
in South Africa. He served during unrest in Zululand
(1888), in Malta (1893-1897), in Ashanti, West Africa,
as Chief Staff Officer during Matabele Rebellion (1896-1897)
and then as Colonel of the Irregular horse in SA. By then
he was known as artists, writer and secret service expert.
During siege of Mafeking his use of school boys as
messengers and despatch riders inspired his Boy Scout
movement, founded in 1908. He died in 1941.

Kind regards
Lynn MacLeod