SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2004-01 > 1074607232

From: "Heather MacAlister" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Old Alicedale cemetry
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:00:32 +0200

Hello Anne

Guideline for Gravestone Rubbing Do's and Don'ts

From "Gravestone Rubbing for Beginners, "a leaflet available from the
Association for Gravestone Studies

Gravestone rubbing is fun. It is possible to collect some beautiful artwork
that can be framed and displayed. A carver's skill can be preserved, or an
ancestor's stone recorded and appreciated through this craft.

However, gravestone rubbing is also controversial. Especially in cemeteries
where a restoration project is in progress, rubbing is often banned. This is
to enable the restorers to have an opportunity to preserve all the stones
possible before more damage occurs. Even if a restoration project is not in
progress, if those who care for the cemetery have determined there are very
fragile stones there which may be damaged if pressure is applied to the
surface as happens in rubbing, there may be prohibitions in place. So be
sure to check.

Below are some Do's and Don'ts that will make your experience in the
cemetery a good one.

Please Do

. Check (with cemetery superintendent, cemetery commissioners, town clerk,
historical society, whoever is in charge) to see if rubbing is allowed in
the cemetery.

. Get permission and / or a permit as required.

. Rub only solid stones in good condition. Check for any cracks, evidence of
previous breaks and adhesive repairs, defoliating stone with air pockets
behind the face of the stone that will collapse under pressure of rubbing,
etc

. Become educated; learn how to rub responsibly.

. Use a soft brush and plain water to do any necessary stone cleaning.

. Make certain that your paper covers the entire face of the stone; secure
with masking tape.

. Use the correct combination of paper and waxes or inks; avoid magic
marker-type pens or other permanent colour materials.

. Test paper and colour before working on stone to be certain that no colour
bleeds through.

. Rub gently, carefully.

. Leave the stone in better condition than you found it.

. Take all trash with you; replace any gravesite materials that you may have
disturbed.

Please Don't...

. Don't attempt to rub deteriorating marble or sandstone, or any unsound or
weakened stone (for example, a stone that sounds hollow when gently tapped
or a stone that is flaking, splitting, blistered, cracked, or unstable on
its base).

. Don't use detergents, soaps, vinegar, bleach, or any other cleaning
solutions on the stone, no matter how mild!

. Don't use shaving cream, chalk, graphite, dirt, or other concoctions in an
attempt to read worn inscriptions. Using a large mirror to direct bright
sunlight diagonally across the face of a grave marker casts shadows in
indentations and makes inscriptions more visible.

. Don't use stiff-bristled or wire brushes, putty knives, nail files, or any
metal object to clean or to remove lichen from the stone; Soft natural
bristled brushes, whisk brooms, or wooden sticks are usually OK if used
gently and carefully

. Don't attempt to remove stubborn lichen. Soft lichen may be thoroughly
soaked with plain water and then loosened with a gum eraser or a wooden
Popsicle stick. Be gentle. Stop if lichen does not come off easily.

Page 31

. Don't use spray adhesives, scotch tape, or duct tape. Use masking tape.

. Don't use any rubbing method that you have not actually practised under
supervision.

. Don't leave masking tape, wastepaper, colours, etc., at the grave site

If you decide to do cemetery transcriptions please check and make sure it
has not been done before. For more in-depth information on Cemetery
recordings you should contact Yvonne Robinson at

a.. Cemetery project: Yvonne Robinson (Western Cape Genealogical Society)
tel. (021) 939-2675

kind regards

Heather

kind regards

Heather

Heather's South African Genealogy Help List www.genealogy.co.za
The 1902 Municipal Voters Roll of Cape Town - Districts 1 to 6
The 1878 Voters Roll for the Cape is now available with tens of thousands
on names !!!
1805, 1829, 1835 and 1849 Cape Almanacs now on CD
The Juta's Directory of 1900 which lists residents of Cape Town from the
City Bowl until Simonstown.
To view our catalogue go to www.genealogy.co.za/scribes.html
Cape Town Family History Society www.genealogy.co.za/society.html