SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2004-02 > 1077616047

From: "Heather MacAlister" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Baxters
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:47:27 +0200

Hello Iain

Your luck I think is in there is still a W.D. Duncan as listed in
Constantia at tel number +27-21-7944135. It is not uncommon to have
someone's number in the phone book who has been deceased for so many years.
My grandfather died in 1944 and his name and phone number are still in the
book as his aged daughter still lives there.

Baxter, William Duncan (born in Dundee, Scot., 14.6.1868 and died in Cape
Town, 7.1.1960), business man, politician, and communal worker, was the
third son of David William and Jane Baxter, his father being a jute
manufacturer. B. went to school and college in his native Dundee before
emigrating (1886) to South Africa, where he joined his uncle's drapery
business, William Duncan and Co., in Cape Town.

B., who became proprietor of this firm on his uncle's death in 1895, rapidly
gained a reputation for business integrity. On his marriage to Ethel Jagger
(she died in 1946), elder daughter of the prominent Cape Town wholesaler
J.W. Jagger born in April 1911, his business horizons widened further, and
he also began to play an active part in the organized commerce movement: he
served as president of the Cape Town Chamber of Commerce (1916-18, and again
from 1926 to 1928) and of the Association of Chambers of Commerce in South
Africa (1918). He wound up the family business in 1919.

B. showed an early interest in political affairs, helping to resuscitate the
Cape Parliamentary Debating Society in 1890. In 1904 he failed to gain
nomination for the Cape House of Assembly, but entered the Cape lower house
as a Progressive in 1908, and was a Unionist member of the Union House of
Assembly from 1910 until 1920. He represented the Cape Town Gardens
constituency. In parliament he took an active part in financial and
commercial debates and between 1920 and 1923 served on several government
commissions, including the Asiatic Inquiry Commission (1920-21) and the
Sugar Inquiry Commission (1922) of which he was chair man. He also acted
(1922-23) as chairman of the Provincial Finances Commission (Baxter Com
mission).

A man of many interests, he was for example from 1904 a member of the Cape
Town city council (mayor from 1907 to 1908) and was responsible for setting
up the Cape Peninsula Publicity Association in 1908. He was for many years
on the governing body of the National Botanic Gardens at Kirstenbosch, in
the establishment of which he played a major role, and served as chairman
from 1918 to 1957. He was also president of the Botanical Society of South
Africa (1936-1956).

In a richly active life in which commerce and politics formed the main
strands, he was widely respected for his financial genius and complete
integrity. In addition to his many other commitments he was (1924) a
director of the Southern Life Association, and also on the governing bodies
of the South African Reserve Bank and J.W. Jagger and Co.

Elected a convocation representative on the council of the University of
Cape Town in 1921, he later served as chairman of its finance committee and
chairman of the council itself (1945-1960). In 1940 the University conferred
on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws.

In 1954 he published his autobiography Turn back the pages which he wrote
primarily for his family and personal friends. On 18.6.1958 he was one of
the first two people to receive the freedom of the City of Cape Town, the
other being Bishop S.W. Lavis. Two of his most absorbing interests
throughout his life were theatre and music, which gave rise to his bequest
of £270 000 to the University of Cape Town for the erection of a theatre for
that city. It is known as the Baxter Theatre.

He and his wife had six children, two sons and four daughters. His son David
Duncan is at pre sent (1977) M.P. for Constantia, Cape. Photographs of
Baxter . appear in South Africa Who's Who of 1954, and as frontispiece to
his autobiography. M. ARKIN

Obituaries: The Cape Argus, 7.1.1960; South African Insurance Magazine, Feb.
1960; G. D. QUINN, W.D.

Baxter, 1868-1960. J.W. Jagger Lib., U.C.T., 1962; - SESA. V.2. C.T., 1970.

SELECT SOURCE VOLUME NO REFERENCE DESCRIPTION BEGIN DATE END DATE
DOC 4/1/482 2449 MORTGAGE BOND. WILLIAM DUNCAN BAXTER. 1896 1896
DOC 4/1/785 2961 MORTGAGE BOND. WILLIAM DUNCAN BAXTER. 1901 1901
DOC 4/1/949 4805 MORTGAGE BOND. WILLIAM DUNCAN BAXTER. 1903 1903
DOC 4/1/1367 952 MORTGAGE BOND. WILLIAM DUNCAN BAXTER. 1909 1909

Heather's South African Genealogy Help List www.genealogy.co.za
Join the South-Africa-Cape-Town mailing list at
www.genealogy.co.za/index9.htm
The 1902 Municipal Voters Roll of Cape Town - Districts 1 to 6
The 1878 Voters Roll for the Cape is now available with tens of thousands
on names !!!
1805, 1829, 1835 and 1849 Cape Almanacs now on CD
The Juta's Directory of 1900 which lists residents of Cape Town from the
City Bowl until Simonstown.
To view our catalogue go to www.genealogy.co.za/scribes.html
Cape Town Family History Society www.genealogy.co.za/society.html