SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2004-07 > 1089385182

From: "Brian Varrall" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Newbatt
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:59:42 +0100

To: Heather, Brian, Becky, Andrew, Keith and Christine, plus others who have
been so bountiful in your responses:

As a direct result of all your invaluable information, coupled with that
received from other, equally helpful sources, I can report that our Alfred
Edward Maynard NEWBATT, born in Port Elizabeth 1873 and an orphan before his
2nd birthday, had a sister, Rosetta A NEWBATT, born very shortly before
their parent's death and with whom he must have returned to the UK.

In the 1881 census, their presence camouflaged in the LDS transcription as
NEWBOLT, they appear living in East Ham, Essex, the grandson and
granddaughter of John MAYNARD, head of the household and Curate of St
John's, and his wife, Annie. This couple were both recorded as having been
born in Halsham Holderness, York and I feel quite safe in deducing that
these are the maternal grandparents.

Also within that household is Constance M MAYNARD, 5 year old daughter, who
was born in Worcester, Cape of Good Hope. So the entire Maynard family
appear to have been in SA, presumably at the time of their daughter, Lucy
Anne's marriage to Edward NEWBATT.

Interestingly, Alfred's son, Edward Marshall Maynard NEWBATT, became a
clergyman, standing by his congregation in Stoke Newington (North London)
when their church, St Faith's, was reduced to rubble. The church was
rebuilt, my wife's father Edward, sadly died in 1968.

Thanks all

Brian

This thread: