SOUTH-AFRICA-L ArchivesArchiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2005-05 > 1115870227
From: "Lynn MacLeod" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Re: Adam TAS
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:57:08 +1200
References: <200505111800.j4BI0cNV012819@lists5.rootsweb.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Hi Anne and Verius
From the book "The Old Houses of the Cape" by Fransen and Cook (1965)
Libertas: This farm was granted to Hans Jurgen GRIMPE, nearly 43 morgen, in
1692; GRIMPE had already in 1690 acquired over 44 morgen of land adjoining,
granted to Jan Cornelis van OUD-BEYERLAND (Jan BOMBAM) in 1689. Adam TAS
came into possession of all this by marrying GRIMPE's widow. It is
interesting to note that the name Libertas was in use before TAS became
owner. No doubt he made the famous pun (a good one at that) on his release
from the Castle - Liber (est) Tas; TAS is free - but he did not invent the
TAS's house was apparently on the part of the farm called Oude Libertas.
After his death the farm changed hands a number of times, and in 1760 came
into the possession of Jacob Hendrik MALAN. MALAN's widow, Anna Elsabeth
LOUW, married Jan Bernard HOFFMAN, Deputy Laddrost of Stellenbosch and in
1771 HOFFMAN built the house that is still standing there, quite a distance
from the older side....
Doornbosch: This is a farm that was granted in 1692 to Jacob Aartsz
BROUWER; it was just over 26 morgen. It was presumably sold (the transfer
is missing) to H J GRIMPE, and so came to be included in the estate left by
Adam TAS in 1822.. Along with Libertas is passed from owner to owner until
1793. An area of about 41 morgen was then transferred to Gideon JOUBERT,
and on the same day to Jacques PIENAAR. This was made up of Doornbosch,
plus a bit of Libertas, and two pieces of quitrent land annex....
Eenzaamheid: this farm was a freehold grant of 60 morgen to Claas Hendriksz
DIEPENAUW, who later married Sara TAS. After his death in 1715, Adam TAS
bought the farm. In 1764 Catharina PASMAN, the widow of Philip MORKEL,
transferred it to Johannes Albertus MYBURNG. The next transfer was from J A
MYBURG's widow to their son, in 1790....
From the book " Stellenbosch Revisited" by Joy Collier (1959)
"To look into the 'backward abyss of time' and trace Stellenbosch to its
inception when it was as new as the first shoot of green on the black stock
of the vine, we cannot do better than tell the story of Adam - Adam TAS and
his farm which still stands on the banks of the Eerste River within
sauntering distance of the village.
Adam is one of th best known, as well as one of the earliest inhabitants of
Stellenbosch and arrived at the Cape from Amsterdam in 1697. After serving
for a while as ensign in the Cape Burgher Infantry, he married Elizabeth VON
BRAKEL, widow of Joris (Hans Jürgen) GRIMPEN who had received a grant of
land at Stellenbosch in 1692. So, through his wife, Adam took possession of
the farm and lived a life little different from that of a present day
farmer; 'going the rounds' to see that his labourers were keeping to their
seasonal tasks, tending his vines, finding fresh leopard spoor, taking tea
or 'a rummer or two of wine' with his friends, playing cards, talking,
pipe-smoking and reading.
(talks about his diary.....) The last entry of the diary is dated February
27th 1706 and the ink was scarcely dry when soldiers spurred out from the
castle at Cape Town, arrested him by order of the Governor and imprisoned
him for sedition. He child died while he was in prison but eventually,
after 13 months, he was released and vindicated. In honour of the event he
renamed his farm 'LiberTas" and although the buildings have been altered,
added to, and reconstructed, much of the present farm, including the fine
central hall with its deep-set windows and fireplace enclosed by a cupboard,
and the back gable, may date from his time.
A few changes in name spelling and Libertas stories between the two
books.... but hope it helps.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Lehmkuhl" <>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:25 AM
Subject: [ZA] Re: Adam TAS
> >Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:21:43 +0200
> >From: "Severius de Beer" <>
> >Does anyone have information regarding Adam TAS. I am also looking for
> >details on his spouse, children grand children, etc.
> Dear Verius
> Here is some info from my unedited notes collection:
> There are no more male Adam TAS descendants in South Africa.
> The last TAS daughter's husband was asked to take his wife's surname but
> In 1658, the widow MENSING, sister of Adam TAS, brewed beer at De
> in Newlands.
> Erika VAN AS did her master's on Adam TAS' diary
> His diary was published - Het Dagboek van Adam Tas 1705-1706; edited by
> FOUCHE; 1914 Longmans, Green & Co; London; re-published in 1970 by the Van
> Riebeeck Society
> It was preserved when governor Willem Adriaan VAN DER STEL had copies made
> of parts (13 Jun 1705 to 27 Feb 1706) of the diary, because TAS led an
> uprising against the governor and the diary was part of evidence. The
> dissappeared after that.
> TAS was arrested on 28 Feb 1706 and released a year later.
> TAS was born in 1668 in Amsterdam and arrived at the Cape in 1697. By then
> his 2 sisters and an aunt where already at the Cape. His younger sister,
> Maria, was married to the wealthy Henning HUSING / HUISING. He stayed with
> them on their farm, Meerlust, for a while. Another sister married
> DIPPENAUW, who owned the farm Eenzaamheid. Today Eenzaamheid is owned by
> Christo BRIERS-LOUW, whose family has owned it since 1775.
> TAS settled in Stellenbosch, where he died in Jun 1722. He was made a
> church deacon at Stellenbosch in Jan 1706.
> On 07 Jun 1703 he married his first wife Elizabeth VAN BRAKEL, wealthy
> widow of Hans Jurgen GRIMP. She died in 1714 and he married Johanna KOEVAL
> (on 25 Nov 1717?).
> He had one son from his first marriage, also named Adam. Four of his
> children survived him when he died in 1722.
> Elisabeth VAN BRAKEL
> baptized 13 May 1674, Cape Town
> 1. 25 July 1701, Stellenbosch, to Hans Jurgen GRIMP(E)
> 2. 07 June 1703, Stellenbosch, Adam TAS
> TAS was arrested at his farm. The farm was already known as Libertas
> his arrest. The farm was originally granted to Jan VAN OUDENLIGENLAND in
> 1689 by governor Simon VAN DER STEL. He transferred it to GRIMP in 1690.
> The Van Riebeeck Society was brought about because of TAS' diary - A.C.G.
> LLOYD, librarian of the South African Public Library, discovered a large
> piece of the diary (1704) in Nov 1911.