SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2005-07 > 1120273471

From: Keith Meintjes <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Please help - Frederick SMITH for Karin Serfontein
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:04:31 -0400

Karin,

I presume you have his details from the Commonwealth War Graves site:

Name: SMITH, FREDERICK ERNEST
Initials: F E
Nationality: South African
Rank: Private
Regiment: South African Infantry
Unit Text: 7th Regt.
Age: 34
Date of Death: 13/10/1916
Service No: 1339
Additional information: Son of John and Elizabeth Smith of Bunwell, England.,
husband of Margaret Smith of 39A, Lovers Walk, Fordsburg, Johannesburg.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 9.
Cemetery: MOROGORO CEMETERY

Cemetery: MOROGORO CEMETERY
Country: Tanzania
Locality: unspecified
Visiting Information: As the cemetery has no permanent staff, it is kept
locked with coded padlock. If you are intending to visit this site, the code
to the padlock can be obtained from either our Outer Area Office on 01628
507179, or our office in Kenya on 00 254 257 0594. Wheelchair access to the
cemetery is possible via main entrance. For further information regarding
wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number
01628 507200.
Location Information: Morogoro is situated 195 kilometres west of
Dar-Es-Salaam. At the large roundabout on the main road from Dar-Es-Salaam
take the turning for the town centre. Follow this road straight through the
town and come out the other side on a narrow road lined with mango trees.
About 1 kilometre from the centre of town, turn right onto a rough track (this
is marked by a CWCG direction sign). After approximately 100 metres, bear left
at the fork (also signposted) and the cemetery is about 50 metres along the
track on your right, set back amongst trees.
Historical Information: At the outbreak of the First World War Tanzania was
the core of German East Africa. From the invasion of April 1915, Commonwealth
forces fought a protracted and difficult campaign against a relatively small
but highly skilled German force under the command of General von
Lettow-Vorbeck. When the Germans finally surrendered on 23 November 1918,
twelve days after the European armistice, their numbers had been reduced to
155 European and 1,168 African troops. Morogoro was occupied by Commonwealth
forces on the 26 August 1916 and the German civil cemetery was taken over for
Commonwealth war burials. Between the beginning of September 1916 and January
1919, 177 burials were carried out by the five medical units which were posted
in the town and which were, at the outset, assisted by German medical
personnel and civilians. After the Armistice, 169 graves were brought in from
other burial grounds, including the following: BUKU BUKU (or DINA BUKU)
GRAVES, between Morogoro and the Mwuha river. The place was occupied in
September 1916 and a medical unit was posted there. DAKAWA (WAMI RIVER),
between Morogoro and Handeni. DUTHUMI MILITARY CEMETERY, between Morogoro and
the Rufiji. The place was captured in September, 1916. KIKEO ROAD CEMETERY,
near Kisaki. RUFIJI RIVER CEMETERY, near Chogowali. TULO CEMETERY, on the
Mikese-Duthumi road. The place was occupied in September 1916. There are now
381 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the cemetery.
No. of Identified Casualties: 380

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=124450

Best wishes,

Keith