SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2005-07 > 1122726941

From: "Ray Pitt" <>
Subject: Some help with SA Army service
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:35:41 +1000

Fellow listers
I wonder if any of you out there have had any dealing
with SA army service numbers at all? The reason I ask is that my father in
law's service records contain his service number and at the end of the
string of the six digits is the letter 'E'. My question to you all is does
this letter E stand for his being English speaking or does it signify that
he was of English nationality, which he was not! Or does it stand for
something simpler, say denoting a service group?
Any help would be very greatly appreciated
Kindest regards,
Ray Pitt
Queensland
Australia