SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2005-10 > 1129292502

From: "Maureen Brady" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Eva/Krotoa & Pieter van Meerhof
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:21:42 +0200

Hi Delia

Given your long association with this List, I'd be surprised if you don't
recall how often in the past I've mentioned that I'm a descendant of this
union myself. For instance, just a few years ago, we had a long debate
on-List about the precise location of Meerhof's Kasteel (if anyone else is
interested, it's all in the List's Archives).

I've since discovered I'm triply descended from Krotoa & Pieter, from their
daughter Pieternella who married Daniel ZAAIJMAN, once down my Oupa
ZAAIMAN's line, and once each through my Ouma BENADE's maternal and paternal
lines -- and I suspect, if I keep on digging, I may yet find more lines
connecting back to Krotoa & Pieter. I haven't yet worked my way up every
single branch.

My grandparents were therefore distant cousins three times, although they
may not have been aware of this. As an illustration of what I'm interested
in finding out, in the course of researching my Ouma's direct lines, I found
a VAN ZIJL four generations back from my mother's generation. One of her
sisters married a VAN ZYL, so they were also distant cousins. This connects
my family back to Olaf BERGH and Angela van Bengale by blood and not only by
marriage. Now I'm curious to see just how many cousins I can connect with
through the List, and to begin to build a database of all these
interconnections, although I have yet to work out how I'm going to cope with
the technical challenge this will involve! I need hardly point out what a
massive undertaking this will be. I have no clear vision of where this
project may lead; all I can do is make a start.

Which reminds me, does anyone know where Mansell Upham is these days? He's a
double descendant and has done a lot of research on Pieter van Meerhof's
Danish background. I recall he said, quite some time ago, he was planning to
publish a book about this -- I'd love to know whether he still intends to do
so, and when, unless he already has and I'm simply not aware of it. Dr Hans
Heese, author of "Groep Sonder Grense", is another descendant I'm know of.

Let me also take this opportunity to thank those of you who have already
sent me your lines of descent from Krotoa & Pieter off-List over the past
few days, as well as for your "votes" about the Master's website (we're up
to 17 Ayes, but still
no response).

Ons doet maar voort!

Regards