SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2005-10 > 1130098085

From: "Maureen Brady" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] Robert McDonald
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:08:05 +0200

Hi Dale

I did a search of the index of the SA National Archives (home page at
http://www.national.archives.gov.za/index.htm) for 1910-1970 and found three
divorces involving a Robert McDONALD, although two have middle names, in
1933, 1936 and 1944, all in TAB, the Transvaal Archive depot.

There are also three deceased estate files, but the first is a bit early for
your fellow, if you have letters to prove he was still alive after 1945. The
other two were born in
Scotland, and one of these died unmarried. Are you sure he died in South
Africa and not in Rhodesia?

Don't give up, though, just because there's no mention of his death in
NAAIRS -- all of
us have relatives we have other reliable data for who are not listed in
NAAIRS.

For what it's worth, below are the references. NAB = Natal Archives

Regards
Maureen Brady
Johannesburg

Divorces:
DEPOT TAB
SOURCE WLD
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 272/1933
PART 1
DESCRIPTION ILLIQUID CASE DIVORCE IRENE MAGGIE MCDONALD (BORN BEST)
VERSUS
ROBERT JOHN.
STARTING 1933
ENDING 1933

DEPOT TAB
SOURCE WLD
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 124/1936
PART 1
DESCRIPTION ILLIQUID CASE DIVORCE ROBERT MCDONALD VERSUS MINNIE
(BORN BRADLEY).
STARTING 1936
ENDING 1936

DEPOT TAB
SOURCE WLD
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 1295/1944
PART 1
DESCRIPTION ILLIQUID CASE DIVORCE ROBERT BRUCE MCDONALD VERSUS
ROSALIND (BORN
WEXLER).
STARTING 1944
ENDING 1944

Estate files: s/sp = surviving spouse
DEPOT NAB
SOURCE MSCE
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 00
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 1933/1945
PART 1
DESCRIPTION MCDONALD, ROBERT. S/SP MCDONALD, ANN.
STARTING 1945
ENDING 1945

DEPOT NAB
SOURCE MSCE
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 778/1956
PART 1
DESCRIPTION MCDONALD, ROBERT. BORN IN ABERFELDY, SCOTLAND. SSP
MCDONALD, DOROTHY
MARGARET. (BORN HINTON). DECEASED ESTAT
STARTING 1956
ENDING 1957

DEPOT NAB
SOURCE MSCE
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 2435/1957
PART 1
DESCRIPTION MCDONALD, ROBERT. BORN IN SCOTLAND. UNMARRIED. DECEASED
ESTATE.
STARTING 1957
ENDING 1958