SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2006-05 > 1147283588

From: "Marielle Ford" <>
Subject: Re: [ZA] CAPE TOWN DIRECTORY 1827
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 19:53:08 +0200

That would make sense given that the definition of "shambles" shows up as
follows:

*shambles* n 1: a condition of great disorder 2: a building where animals
are butchered *...*

slaughterhouse; scene of carnage
There is reference to it in PAMA's Regency Cape Town, and it was clearly a
disgusting, smelly, unhealthy area where animals were slaughtered and fish
cleaned - from the Commercial Exchange to the Bay and on the beach behind
Strand Street - carcasses near the Amsterdam Battery. He even refers to
"the shambles".

Rgds
Marielle