SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2006-10 > 1159986067

From: "Richard America" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Greeff graves at Sanddrift
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:21:07 -0400

Does anyone know about the cluster of people in the Cape Peninsula
surnamed - America?

There is also a group in the Netherlands and in Belgium with this
name.

Thank you

Richard F America
Washington DC USA

>>> Colyn Brookes <> 9/14/2006 12:22
AM >>>

Hi Francois

>Yes. All Greeff people in SA are related. We are all descended from
one
man,
>Matthijs Greeff, so these people are my distant cousins.

>If you would please send me pictures of the graves I will post them on
my
>web site.

I only have a single headstone as I am only interested in the War Grave
side
of things and was in Sanddrift last Sunday. I will send the photograph.
will check on my database as I may also have one from Kimberley that I
took
earlier this year, and next April there is one in Upington the I will
get
while I am there.

GREEFF P J A Private #227426
Technical Service Corps, S.A. Forces
11/11/1945
SANDDRIFT FARM BURIAL GROUND, KORINGSBERG. Plot 6

GREEFF H J Private #149
9th Dismounted Rifles
12/03/1915
KIMBERLEY (WEST END) CEMETERY Bl. G. Row A. 6. DR Sect.

GREEFF, Daniel Magiel Private #270
Mounted Commandos (Fraserburg Commando) S.A. Forces
07/12/1914 Aged 22
Son of Mr. M. J. and Mrs. A. M. Greeff, of
34, Victoria Rd., Southfield, Cape Flats.
Buried in Port Nolloth Cemetery, C.P.
Special Memorial UPINGTON (STATION) CEMETERY

The last one is a casualty from the WWI conflict against the Germans in
SWA.
A Special Memorial probably means that his original grave cannot be
exactly
located in Port Nolloth. As I have to go there also in April I will
check.

Regards

Colyn