SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2006-10 > 1161622989

From: "Steve Hayes" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Natal fevers - epidemics? TETANUS
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:06:54 +0200

On 23 Oct 2006 at 17:23, B J Venter wrote:

> "Steve Hayes" wrote
>
> > If it affected more than one person in a family, one of the first two
> > is more likely anyway. Tetanus is usually spread by wounds.
> > -- Steve Hayes
>

> I am afraid I cannot agree. Tetanus is most definitely NOT a transmissible NOR
> contagious disease.

That's what I said.

Typhus is spread by fleas, typhoid is spread by food or water contaminated by
the bacillus sdalmonella typhosa.

A family might be infected by the same fleas, or deat the same contaminated
food or drink the same contaminated water.

They are not so likely to step on the same rusty nail.

> It is a disease caused by Clostridium tetani when wounds become infected by
> this bacterium from the environment. It is not transmitted or spread from
> person to person.

That is why I said that it was unlikely to be tetanus if it appeared in
several members of the family.