Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2006-10 > 1161630346

From: "Rod Gebhardt" <>
Subject: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Graves-non list
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:05:46 +0200

Good Evening to all listers,

This might not be a list topic but could be of interest to quite a few out there.Can anyone help me get out of a corner and regain my sanity. I got involved in a discussion on the topic of graves and the ownership thereof. We have been going around in circles with no end in sight. Our main points of contention are:

1] If you purchase a grave, or plot as some like to call it, what does one actually get, besides a hole in the ground?

2] For how long does the "plot" remain yours and can or is it passed on from family to family, the same as normal fixed property?

3] Is there a time span on the specific plot one purchases, thinking of instances when a local council "reclaims" the ground of very old graves for use either as new grave sites or for building purposes?

Any input will help us solve our headaches.

This thread: