SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2006-10 > 1161630346

From: "Rod Gebhardt" <>
Subject: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Graves-non list
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:05:46 +0200

Good Evening to all listers,

This might not be a list topic but could be of interest to quite a few out there.Can anyone help me get out of a corner and regain my sanity. I got involved in a discussion on the topic of graves and the ownership thereof. We have been going around in circles with no end in sight. Our main points of contention are:

1] If you purchase a grave, or plot as some like to call it, what does one actually get, besides a hole in the ground?

2] For how long does the "plot" remain yours and can or is it passed on from family to family, the same as normal fixed property?

3] Is there a time span on the specific plot one purchases, thinking of instances when a local council "reclaims" the ground of very old graves for use either as new grave sites or for building purposes?

Any input will help us solve our headaches.

Regards,

Rod

This thread: