Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2006-10 > 1161661798

From: Delia Robertson <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Graves-non list
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 05:49:58 +0200

Rod Gebhardt wrote:
> Good Evening to all listers,
> This might not be a list topic but could be of interest to quite a few out there.Can anyone help me get out of a corner and regain my sanity. I got involved in a discussion on the topic of graves and the ownership thereof. We have been going around in circles with no end in sight. Our main points of contention are:
> 1] If you purchase a grave, or plot as some like to call it, what does one actually get, besides a hole in the ground?
If you buy it in advance, you don't even get the hole, just the space.
And that, in fact, is what you are purchasing.
> 2] For how long does the "plot" remain yours and can or is it passed on from family to family, the same as normal fixed property?
Up until now, the plot has remained the property of the owner and
his/her heirs/descendants. A certificate of ownership is received at
the time of purchase. But in some cases, old cemeteries have been
"reclaimed" for development. It is a global issue.
> 3] Is there a time span on the specific plot one purchases, thinking of instances when a local council "reclaims" the ground of very old graves for use either as new grave sites or for building purposes?
We are fast getting to the point of limited ownership . . . in fact,
there is a debate going on in government at all levels - especially in
the older towns/cities - because they are growing so fast, so many
people are dying (AIDS), and there is, literally, no more space for
burials. There is going to be a strong push in the not-too-distant
future, to encourage cremation - and eventually, I think, cremation will
be the only way to "go".

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Delia Robertson