SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2007-09 > 1189849653

From: "Lynette Oakes" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Soldiers WW1 WW11
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:47:33 +0100

Hi Lucille,

Have you tried The National Archives Documents Online, (UK archives)?
Officers excluded, medals were issued to all men for each campaign they
fought in. This info is found on the "Medal Index Cards". There is further
info on class WO329 at TNA, unfortunately it is not online. You might have
to have your soldier's regiment but it is worth trying. Site address is
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
It is possible to download a document, for a fee (£3.50) If you are unable
to pay on line, let me know and (provided you do not want dozens!) I'll do
it for you.
Alternatively try www.Ancestry.co.uk They have recently put Pension records
- class WO364 - on line. Searchable by name, birth place and year and
regimental number. If you do not have a subscription to Ancestry let me
know, I do and will look for you.

So long as I am not inundated (I do have a "day job") I should be happy to
help anyone also looking for old soldiers.

Please send requests to my e mail address

Lynette