SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2007-12 > 1199109391

From: "Heather MacAlister" <>
Subject: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Captain Thorburn's motorbike ride
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:56:31 +0200

Hello Keith

The subject of this sketch, Major HENRY MEINTJES, M.C., A.F.C., is another
member of that gallant company of South Africans, which, through service in
the Royal Flying Corps during the last two years of the Great War, brought
additional honour to the country of their birth; and amongst these Major
Meintjes was one who acquired outstanding personal distinction.
Born in the Cape Province at Colesberg on the 25th December, 1892, he was
educated at St. Andrew's College, Grahamstown, whence, in due course, he
matriculated.

On the outbreak of the Great War he joined the Colours, and served through
the campaign in German South-West Africa with the 14th Dismounted Rifles. In
due time he sailed for England, on transfer to the Royal Flying Corps, and,
on completion of his training, was posted to No. 60 Squadron, R.F.C., with
which formation he served from April, 1916, until March, 1917, with a brief
interlude during which he was a Fighting Instructor. His service with No. 56
Squadron, to which he was transferred at the end of March, was of relatively
short duration, as he was seriously wounded and effectively disabled on the
7th May, 1917. The next fourteen months were passed in hospital.
On his return to South Africa he entered Civil Aviation, then in its early
infancy, and was Manager and Chief Pilot to Handley Page South African
Transports, Ltd., from 1919 until 1921. This Company had been formed with a
view to the establishment of a regular airmail and passenger service in the
Union, ultimately to be linked with Europe via Cairo. Two I6-passenger
machines were imported and assembled at Young's Field, Cape Town, and the
new service inaugurated on the 15th February, 1920, when with a crew of
three-Major Meintjes, Captain C. J. Venter, D.F.C., and engineer Askew -and
seven passengers and mails aboard, the " Pioneer " took off for
Johannesburg. After a series of mishaps, due to a fault in the petrol feed,
the flight was abandoned at Beaufort West, and, since the venture was
premature, the Company was eventually liquidated.

In 1922 Major Meintjes entered the South African Air Force, with which he
served in various capacities until his transfer in 1930 to the Civil
Investigation Department of the South African Police, in which his wide
technical knowledge and experience continue to be of valuable benefit to the
State.
He is a member of the Pretoria Country Club and is a keen tennis player.
Fishing and shooting
are field sports in which he indulges and his hobby is gardening.

St. Andrews College Register:

2172 - Meintjies, Henry, bro. of No. 1871; Left Dec. 1912; b. 25.12.'91;
Espin. Form III-VI. Coll. Prefect. Lieut. C.C. XI.* XV.*; Great War, Capt.;
M.C. '17; M. in D.; A.F.C. '19; manager, Handley Page S.A. Airports Ltd.
'19; in charge of test flight at inauguration of Airmail Service '24; Major
S.A.A.F., tfd. as Major S.A.P.; retired; Proprietor Kensington Bottle Store,
Johannesburg '39; died June 2nd, 1949.
2173 - Meintjes, Stephen Murray, bro. of No. 2172; Upper. Form Form III;
died during June holidays, 1907.

1871 - Meintjes, Clarence, son of S.; Left Dec. 1907; b. 20.9.'88;
Armstrong, Espin. Form II-VI. Coll. Prefect. C.S.M., C.C. 2nd XI. XV.* S.H.
'05. Mat. '07; rep. N.W. dist. Currie Cup Rugby '11; Great war, Capt.;
Farmer in Cape Prov. and O.F.S.; Van der Watt's Kraal, P.O. Storms Vlei,
C.P., '43; died May 25th, 1949.

Hope this helps.
Compliments of the season to you too and hope you have a great 2008

Heather MacAlister
Channel Manager for www.ancestry24.co.za www.ancestry24.com