SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2008-07 > 1215585866

From: "Gerda gmail" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Holocaust documents
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:44:26 +0200

Bobby,

The slave workers were mainly not Jewish, and initially not in camps as
such. After being dumped at their 'Stations' in Germany they were not
properly fed, clothed or housed and if they pilfered something to survive or
were caught building radio's etc they were sent to re-education camps. Most
ended up in those eventually and many didn't leave those alive.

The workers were mostly civilian males between the ages of 15 and 55. In the
beginning jobless (dperssion) people looking for jobs were carted off, later
state
departments,now under German management, started to 'sell off' their
employees, and still later all remaining men of working age were rounded up
during regular raids named 'Razzia's', but by that time there was also a
system of 'onderduiking'
(ducking under) in place where families devised ways to hide their menfolk
in
attics, in hollow walls and underfloor.

Manpower was needed in Germany to keep the war machine running whilst the
German men of similar age were deployed at the fronts. From the East Block
countries many women were similarly enslaved, but mostly sent off as
entertainment for soldiers on the front. needless to say, very few of those
survived.

It's a long story, and the best I can do at this stage is to refer you to
http://www.dwangarbeid.net/ Be prepared for some shocking material.

Hundreds of thousands died, and to date tens of thousands of men who are
presumed dead, are still unaccounted for.

Gerda