SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2009-12 > 1260965637

From: "Rod Gebhardt" <>
Subject: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Off List- Long seasons greetings
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:13:57 +0200

To all listers with whom I have corresponded and who have endured my constant requests,
Ever since I have been a member of these lists I have never experienced such unselfish camaraderie and assistance as given by all the list members. Even although I may ask questions which may be obtuse, the LIST replies with patience and guidance, pushing my questing mind in this direction then that, until I find not only the answer I am seeking but a host of additional history, giving me such insight into various families that no history book can ever hope to provide.

I have often searched outside my chosen family groupings and come up with more information and history than my own family can provide. This is how amazing these LISTS and their members are. Although I do not like to apportion thanks to a specific group, I cannot help but give thanks to Becky and her crew who have, again with unselfish guidance and perseverance, given of their time and knowledge, who have managed to keep the EC LIST one of the most vibrant genie families alive and going from strength to strength.If I may quote from E.F.G. SCHNELL's book, in the later half of the 1800's more than half of the Cape Colony was either of German descent or German speaking. Coupled to all the settlars coming into the EC from the UK and elsewhere, has kept the EC LIST busy trying to maintain tabs on each and every family, and building on theirs families, both in SA and over the waters.

I would like to wish each and every member of these lists the very best for this festive season. May your family gatherings be positive and fulfilling. May each member of your family give you a gem for Christmas, be it a special gift, a memory, a special hug, or just a smile which only a child can use to soften the heart of a parent. May each of these gifts be forever buried in your hearts and may you have years of joy from them.
My own family have gone their ways and have their families to take care of, which makes me thankful they have their own circle of "friends" to build on, which leaves me with a few very selected friends and my LIST friends. May each of you enjoy and succour the time your friends and family spend with you.
To those of you who have lost a dear one recently, they have gone to a more peaceful world and are now watching over us and smiling at our endeavours to unravel the family mysteries before us. Please hold their memories close to your heart and keep them alive in your memories.

Festive greetings to each and every one of you and may the best of this year be the worst of next year.

Regards to all,

Rod

This thread: