SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2010-03 > 1267579293

From: "Keith Meintjes" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] van Niekerk - Louw - Kloppers
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:21:33 -0500

Grahame,

I took a look at the Durbanville register. The baptism of Elizabeth
Wilhelmina Maria van Niekerk in June 1863 is written in a different hand than
the other entries. It is a stretch to decipher the father's name as Jan
Gysbert HENDRIK van Niekerk.

There is also the baptism of Johanna Francisca LOUW on 8 November 1896. The
witnesses are Johan Gysbert Franke van Niekerk and Johanna Francisca van
Niekerk. Who else, but the child's grandparents?

In SA Genealogies 6 p. 227, the first entry on the page is for Jan Gysbert
Francke VAN NIEKERK. Case closed, I believe. (in NAAIRS, search on Francke
AND Niekerk.) I will send photographs off the list.

Best wishes,

Keith