SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2010-03 > 1269158962

From: "Denise Whitehead" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] SOUTH-AFRICA Digest, Vol 5, Issue 98
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:09:22 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

I don't have any fixed opinion in this debate although I am enjoying the
discussion.

Can I please just offer a point of view as a novice doing research about
my family,. I don't care whats its called.
In NZ there is a powerful Maori concept known as TURANGAWAEWAE. Literally
translated TURANGA (standing place) waewae(feet). This then means 'A place
to stand'. Our Turangawaewae is the place where people feel especially
empowered and connected. It is the foundation, our place in the world, our
home.
Another word is WHAKAPAPA this is the Maori word for genealogy, but
literally means "to create a base or foundation" Whakapapa are ways in which
people come into relationship with the world, with people and with life.
As a South African born person who has lived in New Zealand 43 years, I
think of New Zealand as my home but South Africa is my Turangawaewae. When I
return to South Africa for visits I feel connected to the land and the
people, it is where I stand.
My membership of this site has contributed to this feeling by helping me
create a foundation, and layering and adding to that foundation.
It is through the kindness , support and generosity of many of you who have
led me down the genealogical/historical path back to my ancestor Pieter den
deen Erasmus. You have given me more than you'll ever understand. You have
helped me connect back to my foundations and my place in the world. You have
helped me identify my Tuangawae and for that I thank you.
I congratulate Shelagh O Byrne Spencer on her work, my research will never
be worthy of a doctorate and may even be the "wishful linking" Mansell
Upham talks about but my God has it excited and inspired me to keep seeking

Thank-you all
Dee in NZ