SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2010-03 > 1269848255

From: "Claudine van Wyk" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] SOUTH-AFRICA Digest, Vol 5, Issue 112
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:42:29 +0200

Hi Colin

I'm trying to establish the name of the ship that my husband's great great
grandfather may have been on when he came to South Africa.

He deserted from the vessel, which was an American clipper. We don't have
the name of the vessel or the exact date that he arrived here but we do know
it was in the year or so before the Alabama arrived, around 1862. He was on
board with a friend who also deserted. They traveled around the Cape
Peninsula for a few weeks, eventually ending up in Saldanha Bay. His friend
stayed on in Saldanha Bay while my husband's great great grandfather rowed
over the lagoon and settled in Schryvershoek. There was a fish processing
station there that he ended up working at.

This vessel could be a passenger ship, a whaling / fishing vessel. It could
also be a merchant vessel. It could even have been one of the vessels that
the Alabama captured and sank or set free during her time here. We are not
sure as there is no information on this vessel.

Would there be any microfilm in Pretoria or Johannesburg as I don't live in
Cape Town.

Regards

Claudine

Message: 4