SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2010-11 > 1289766953

From: "Keith Meintjes" <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] HELP re occupation: CHAUVELLEN
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:35:53 -0500

My two cents:

Either way, it must be a transcription error.

I think a transcription error for "occupation" is extremely unlikely. Who
would read "charwoman" as anything else?

A transcription error for a place name is much more likely.

As Richard Ball points out, go back to the original source, now armed with
your new hypothesis. Otherwise, this is just a variation of the childrens'
game of Broken Telephone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers

Keith