SOUTH-AFRICA-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTH-AFRICA > 2011-01 > 1295001173

From: Leigh Toselli <>
Subject: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Charles Clement Harding(e)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:32:53 +0200

Hi there,
I am wondering if anyone can help me with this brick wall. My Great
Grandfather Charles Clement HARDING(E) (Born in Knightsbridge 22
November 1851) has proven a complete mystery - I am trying to find
anything about his life prior to coming to South Africa in 1879. He
had quite a colourful life in S.A. and arrived with the Royal
Engineers during the Anglo Boer War, he was with various other
military divisions including Bethune's Mounted Infantry and he finally
settled in Dundee, Natal producing a family of 8 children.
The Talana Museum was very helpful and managed to find some material
on him including his obituary. However no records seem to exist on his
birth record or any evidence on who his parents might be.
There are many family legends on his aristocratic up-bringing but I'm
drawing blanks - I have searched through numerous archives for
records of his existence in England and have now reached desperation
point. If anyone is able to assist I'd be very grateful.

LEIGH TOSELLI (nee Harding)
Researching: Harding/e, Forbes, Daniel, McKenzie, Manson, Hunter, La
Reservee, DuChenne, La Rose and related families

This thread: