SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY-L ArchivesArchiver > SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY > 1999-04 > 0923875943
From: Doug Moore <>
Subject: Mill Creek Bicentennial
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:12:23 -0700
Carolyn Atkinson posted some comments about an article describing
the Mill Creek Curch Bicentennial event. There are at least several
articles from last Fall relative to this. Polly Shannahan sent them
to Jemima Gee Morse, who typed them up and passed them around to
some Monroe County researchers. I am posting them here. I don't
think they have been sent to this list.
| J Douglas Moore | Genealogy http://www.public.asu.edu/~moore |
| Math Department | HOME: | E-mail: |
| Arizona St Univ | 5223 E Tamblo Dr | Home: (602)893-1144 |
| Tempe, AZ 85287 | Phoenix, AZ 85044 | Office: (602)965-3720 |
"CAVE COUNTY NEWPAPERS, INC., Tompkinsville, Kentucky, Wednesday,
September 2, 1998.
(Photo inset. Caption: "BAPTIZING SCENE Pictured is a baptizing
scene in Mill Creek in 1918. The picture is taken from "Pioneer
Baptist Church Records of South-Central Kentucky and the Upper
Cumberland of Tennessee 1799-1899" and had been furnished for that
publication by Reed Ford of Tompkinsville.
Mill Creek Missionary Baptist Church to celebrate bicentennial
anniversary Sunday, September 13th
The Mill Creek Missionary Baptist Church of Tompkinsville
will be celebrating a historical occasion on Sunday, September 13.
The church will be observing its 200th birthday.
The church will be celebrating its bicentennial with special
singing and guest speakers and preaching on Sunday, September 13,
beginning at 9:30 a.m. with Sunday School.
Bro. Amon Martin, former pastor, will be preaching at 11:00
a.m. with a pot luck lunch to be served afterwards.
The Cassadys will be singing in the afternoon with Jim
Hawkins, assistant secretary of the Kentucky Baptist Convention,
The church will also be recognizing the oldest male and
female members of the church.
The church has a long history in Monroe County.
The history of Mill Creek dates back to September 11, 1798,
when John Adams was present of the United States. On the inside of
the first church book, there is an inscription, "A Book of Records
for the Church on Mill Creek;" the second page reads, "A book of
records for the Church on the Head of Big Barron Mill Creek, William
Marrs Logue, made July 11, 1799, Philip Mulkey, clerk."
The first meeting place for Mill Creek Church is what is
presently known as Old Mulkey State Shrine.
In 1807, the third session of the Stockton's Valley
Association, to which the church belonged, was held at Mill Creek.
In November of 1809, there was a division of the church when charges
were brought against John Mulkey for preaching doctrine contrary to
Baptist beliefs. With the division, the group who stayed with Mill
Creek Baptist began looking for a site for their new meeting house.
In August, 1810, a committee composed of John Stephens,
Ezekiel Springs, James Harrison, Nicholas Houser, and Theo Wiley was
appointed to look for a place for a meeting house. Arrangements
were made to accept a deed from John Harris for 1 1/2 acres of land.
Later, the land was given back to John Harris and 3 acres of land
were purchased from Ezekiel Springer for the sum of fifty cents.
The church building was actually finished around 1821. The
log building was designed after the church building at Old Mulkey.
The building had 12 corners, each representing one of the twelve
apostles. At that time, the pulpit was located in the off-set at the
lower side of the building next the cemetery and the door was in the
upper side, opposite of the pulpit.
In May, 1890, another grave was found outside the boundary
of the church property, so 1/4 acre of land was purchased from
William S. Patterson for $2.50, to include the remainder of the
The minutes kept by the early church are most interesting
and almost every meeting, members were added to the church by
experience, letter, or recantation. Also, the Deacons were kept
active watching over the members and according to records, the
following charges were brought before the church: March, 1799 -
being intoxicated with liquor; July, 1801 - adultery; August, 1813 -
not grinding corn in turn; May, 1813 - wife whipping; January, 1815
- pulling off coat to fight and threatening to burn powder;
September, 1817 - neglecting business while tending to a mill and
letting meal run to waste into a cog pit, and not letting the
customers know of it and making use of it; May, 1826 - putting a
rock in feathers, along with non attendance, dancing, and many other
In 1914, the church joined the Barren River Association and
in 1915 a committee composed of J.H. Hammer, W.D. Carlock, and D.M.
Carter was appointed to repair the church house.
In 1918, Rev. T.F. Grider, a missionary, constructed the
pulpit from sassafras lumber grown on the church grounds. At the
time the building was renovated, the pulpit was turned and the doors
were placed in each end of the building. The floors and benches
were constructed of white oak. The building was then weatherboarded
with poplar lumber. All the lumber used in the renovation was grown
on the church grounds.
The old benches were sawed into lumber which was used to
seal the inside walls and ceiling. The renovation was completed
This was during World War I and it was difficult to find
labor since most able bodied men were serving their country.
On October 4, 1953, a committee made up of Marshall Bowles,
L.S. McCreary, and Clyde Carlock was appointed to represent Mill
Creek in the formation of the Monroe Baptist Association, of which
the church is still an active member.
In March 1957, a church budget was adopted designating a
certain percentage of the church offering to pastor's salary,
co-operative program, associational missions, church expenses, and
miscellaneous. In 1965, the building fund was added to the budget.
In 1973 a renovation was completed which updated the
building with the addition of a basement. Sunday School rooms,
restrooms, a foyer, carpeting, paneling, a new ceiling with panel
lighting, central heat and air, and bricking and reroofing the
outside of the building.
Dedication services and note burning ceremonies were held
for the renovation project on October 31, 1976. Rev. Amon Martin,
pastor, delivered the dedication sermon. Several previous ministers
of the church were present for the occasion.
In 1997, a new addition was built. The addition included new
restrooms, Sunday School rooms, sanctuary, baptistry and foyer.
The church has always been mission minded with Mill Creek
Church being the "mother church" for many of the local churches
including: Church at Stephen's Meeting House, now Skagg's Creek
(1840); a group went with John Savage in 1842; Church at Germania,
now Freedom; arm extended to Clay County, Tennessee until Macedonia
Church was constituted; also in 1896, an arm was extended to Beech
Grove for members and later, four members were lettered off for the
purpose of the constitution of a Church at Beech Grove.
Also, the church participates in the Women's Mission Union
(WMU). The WMU still sponsors special offerings to help home, state,
and foreign missions. The WMU has been active in many projects in
The church has ordained many men to the ministry. Among
those ordained in the past were: John Wood, James Crouch, Isaac
Denton, William Chism, John B. Page, J.W. Bailey, Hascal Hammer,
Daniel Combs, Robert Sewell, Floyd Walden, Dillard Hagan, Thomas
Redford, Derek Profitt.
Also, the church ordained many men to be deacons and leaders
in the church. Among those were: Joseph Gist, James Haron, John
Whitson, William Howard, Thomas Stephens, Michael Chism, H.C. Rush,
J.K. Rush, Samuel R. Chism, Andy Marshall, J.T. Hammer, D.M. Carter,
Tee Smith, Bruce Hammer, Bascal Hagan, Clyde Carlock, Marshall
Bowles, Bazz Baxter, Roger Gillenwater, J.C. Carlock, and Billy
Mill Creek Church has had some very dedicated men to lead
the church. Among the pastors who have led the church were: John
Mulkey, Benjamin Gist, Hiram Casey, John B. Longan, John Crouch,
James Crouch, Lewis Ellison, John Savage, William Chism, R.F.
McAlpin, John B. Page, John Garrett, J.W. Bailey, J.L. Sewell, James
Rich, J.G. Davis, J.S. Sewell, M.F. Payne, J.T. Clemons, D.H. Combs,
S.F. Walden, A.B. Murphy, Stanley Lyon, Carl Jones, Joe Richey,
Raymond Jones, Garnett Martin, G.N. Curtis, Rex Hagan, Owen Logsdon,
Allen Gee, Charles Lowe, Amon Martin, Jim Hunt, Bill Combs, and
Also the following men have been clerks: Philip Mulkey, John
Whiston, H.C. Rush, H.W. Rush, John F. Hammer, William Plumlee,
Samuel Page, Thomas Stevens, Joshua Rush, J.B. Garrett, J.B. Wood,
Willis Combs, J.T. Hammer, Arthur Hammer, Raymond Hammer, and J.C.
Mill Creek Church has not always been large in numbers, but
has been a strong church from its beginning and has helped, as well
as affected many other churches in the area.
(Photo inset: Caption: MILL CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH CELEHGRATES 200TH
ANNIVERSARY. The Mill Creek Missionary Baptist Church or
Tompkinsville will be celebrating its 200th anniversary on Sunday
September 13. Services will begin with Sunday School at 9:30a.m.,
followed by a sermon from former pastor Bro. Amon Martin at
11:00a.m.; singing by the Cassadys in the afternoon, followed by a
message from Jim Hawkins, assistant secretary of the Kentucky
Baptist Convention. Pictured above is the building today; the inset
at the left is a picture of the first church building in the early
1800s; and the inset at the right pictures the building after it was
renovated in 1918.
THE MONROE COUNTY CITIZEN, Tompkinsville, KY, Wednesday, September 9,
Baxters and Hestands part of Mill Creek Church heritage
Editor's Note: The following family history is being run in
conjunction with the history the Mill Creek Church, which is
celebrating its 200th year.
Submitted by Elizabeth Baxter Duncan, September 1998.
Someone might say, "I don't care about my family history;"
well, I do and this is what I've found about mine.
This church history of our family ancestors is dedicated to
the grandchildren of Hamilton S. and Martha Elizabeth Hestand Baxter
and their children.
Learning more about our family history can help bind us more
closely to our families and to our past. As we grow older and find
ourselves with more past than future, it just seems right to search
Keep in mind when you start looking into the past, you might
find a horse thief, a robber, or most anything, but we are not
responsible for our ancestors. I guess we all have some unpleasant
folks in our ancestry.
Ten Generation of Hestands/Baxters of Mill Creek Church
The first Hestand of our ancestry that came to this country
was Henry Hiestand. He was born in 1709 near Zurich, Switzerland,
on the German border. He married about 1732 (don't know his wife's
name). He first moved to Pennsylvania, then to Orange (now Page)
County, Virginia. He was a landowner. He had a large family of three
girls and five boys.
The next ancestor is Abraham Hestand (son of Henry). He was
born about 1740. He lived in Page County, Virginia on his father's
(Henry) farm. He married Magdalene Boehm about 1763. He moved to
Washington County, Tennessee in 1785. He moved to Green County,
Kentucky. About 1800, he moved to Barren (now Monroe ) County
Kentucky, when in April 1801, he joined the Mill Creek Baptist
Church near Tompkinsville, by letter. In 1805, he withdrew from the
Mill Creek Baptist Church and nothing has been found on his later
life. He had ten children. His son, Daniel Hestand, is the third
Daniel was born in 1770 in Virginia. He moved to Kentucky
and he changed the spelling of his name Hiestand to Hestand. He
married Elizabeth Mosier about 1793. He moved to Cumberland County
(now Monroe ), about 1799, settling on McFarland Creek. He was a
farmer, a hatter, and a brick maker. He spoke English with a heavy
German accent. He joined the Mill Creek Baptist Church at
Tompkinsville, Kentucky, on February 8, 1800. In 1827, he joined the
McFarland Creek Church. He had nine children.
The fourth generation was Joshua Kell Hestand, born January
7, 1812. He was Daniel Hestand's youngest son. Joshua Kell was born
in Cumberland County (now Monroe), Kentucky. He married Elizabeth
Cole in 1832. They lived in Monroe in 1880. He established the
Hestand Post Office in 1888, which was in the family almost 100
years. He attended Mill Creek Church. He had ten children.
The fifth generation was Martha Hestand, daughter of Joshua
Kell. She was born in 1848 and she married Hamilton S. Baxter about
1860. They both went to Mill Creek Church. They had nine children.
The sixth generation was Barlow Baxter and Levesta
Grindstaff; they had children in Mill Creek Baptist Church.
The seventh generation in Mill Creek Church was Bazz Baxter,
who died on December 14, 1991. He was the son of Barlow Baxter. Bazz
was a deacon in the Mill Creek Church. He married Della Harlan,
daughter of Cap and Arlie Harlan.
Estell Grindstaff is the daughter of Levesta Grindstaff, who
was the seventh generation. She lives in Tompkinsville, Kentucky.
She is now the oldest living member of Mill Creek Church. She is 93
Elizabeth Baxter Duncan is the daughter of Barlow Baxter,
and is also of the seventh generation. She is the wife of Bill
Duncan, who is also a member of the Mill Creek
Church. She is now attending Mill Creek Church with her family.
Part of the eighth generation now attending Mill Creek
Church is Beth Veach, daughter of Elizabeth Duncan.
Part of the eight generation is Harold Pedigo, the son of
Basil and Mattie Pedigo. He and his wife, Christine, were both
members of the Mill Creek Church.
Also of the eighth generation that attended Mill Creek
Church was Kirk, Wayne, Warner (deceased), and Loretta Baxter Lyons.
These all are the children of Bazz Baxter.
Part of the ninth generation now attending Mill Creek Church
are Chandra and Sawyer Veach, children of Beth Veach, and the
grandchildren of Elizabeth Baxter Duncan.
Roger Gillenwater is the ninth generation that is a member
of the Mill Creek Church. Roger is the son of Douglas and Geneva
(Crowe) Gillenwater. Geneva is the granddaughter of Levesta Baxter
Grindstaff. Roger is also a deacon of the church. He is married to
Linda Martin, daughter of Bro. Amon and Inez Martin, of
Tompkinsville, Kentucky. Linda is the pianist at the church. They
have two children, Melinda and Charlotte Gillenwater, all of whom
The tenth generation is Melinda and Charlotte Gillenwater,
members of the Mill Creek Church, and daughters of Roger and Linda
Hestand/Baxter History and History of Mill Creek Church
In 1861, the following Baxters and Hestands, descendants of
Henry Baxter and Henry Hiestand and members of the Mill Creek Church
were: Phillip Hestand, Margaret Hestand, Turner Hestand, John
Baxter, Elizabeth Baxter, henry Baxter, Peggy Baxter, Easter Baxter,
Elizabeth Hestand, Narcissus Baxter, Lurania Hestand, and Parmelia
The second Sunday of Mary in 1861, the Germania Church was
organized at the Germania School House in Monroe County, Kentucky,
by the above ancestors. They had a period of disastrous years. They
organized the church in 1885. The name was changed to Freedom, which
is now the church that is located on the Celina Road near the
Tennessee line. H.S. Baxter was elected clerk.
Estel Grindstaff had this to say about the church's history,
"Grandpa (Hamilton S. Baxter) was called a liberated preacher. The
church elected him to this position after he went to Freedom. A
liberated preacher is somewhat like an evangelist is now. In the
late 1800's, Grandpa made talks at Mill Creek and Beech Grove and
other places. Church congregated only once or twice a month back
then. So Grandpa traveled around to other churches. Grandma Baxter
(Martha Elizabeth) often told about going to Mill Creek Church and
walking bare foot and carrying her shoes until she got almost to the
church. She then put her shoes on and went in the church. After
service, if she had a boy friend walk her home, she kept her shoes
on. If she didn't have a boyfriend, she would take them off again
and walk home, carrying her shoes."
Boone Line in the Hestand Family
Abraham Hestand was born in 1802 in Cumberland County (now
Monroe) Kentucky. He was the son of Daniel Hestand . He was a
brother of Joshua Kell Hestand. Abraham Hestand married Elizabeth
Pennington, granddaughter of Hannah Boone and daughter of Daniel
Boone Pennington, on January 17, 1826 in Cumberland County, (now
Monroe ) Kentucky. They moved to Moss in Jackson County, (now Clay)
Tennessee. They had thirteen children.
Information taken from:
1) Pioneer Baptist Church Records of South Central Kentucky and the
Upper Cumberland or Tennessee, 1799-1899; by C.P. Cawthorne and N.L.
Warnell: 1985 copyright.
2) The Hestand's "Then and Now." Written, researched and compiled by
Jean Mobley Dobbs, 6124 N. Harvard Ave., Oklahoma City, Ok. 73122.
3) Research paper of Baxter family by Phyllis Ellen McKiver Bennet,
|Mill Creek Bicentennial by Doug Moore <>|