SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHERN-UNIONIST > 2000-04 > 0957117116

From: Charles and Jimmie <>
Subject: Re: Union Men in Marion Co.
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:51:56 -0500

David,

In Carl Elliott's, Vol IV, Annals of NW AL, there is a newspaper article
which was published in a Washington, DC, newspaper and it says that
John Kennedy was hung for being a "Union Man".

I don't know who Mr. Mitchell could be. I know in researching Mitchells
of Marion County that there were two different familes of Mitchells. I
believe
one came from York County, SC, and the other from Laurens County, SC.
Whether they were related or not, I don't know. Of my Mitchells, three
brothers, Wm. H., Mitchell, Francis (Frank) Marion Mitchell and John D.
Mitchell served in the 1st AL Cav. Their father was James Mitchell from
Laurens County, SC and Marion County, AL. Francis Marion Mitchell
died of complications of the measels and is buried in the National Cemetery
at Corinth. John D. Mitchell died in Andersonville Prison, GA and is buried

in Andersonville National Cemetery. William H. Mitchell was a teamster
in the 1st AL. His claim for pension stated he was injured in a retreat
from Yellow Creek, MS, when his team of six mules became frightened
and and ran away. I believe William was one of the soldiers among the
300, mostly women and children, and some sick and convalescing soldiers,
who were sent to Illinois during the war. William moved over into Scott
County, MO, where he died.29 August 1893. James Mitchell, the father
of these men was living in McNairy County, TN, in 1880.

The George "Hallwork" referred to, must be George Hallmark. "Tories
of the Hills", by Wesley Thompson, p183, mentions an incident
involving George Hallmark and his daughter, similar to the description in
the report.

Maybe, there should not be a comma between the names Welsly
and Williams, and the person was Wesley Williams. In
Glenda Todd's new book, "First Alabama Cavalry, USA, Homage to
Patrotism", she includes the testimony of Wesley Williams. I believe
her email address is on the Marion County GenWeb page where she
submitted records of the McWhirter Family.

Jimmie

--
Nichols, Mitchell, Ford, Hallmark, Scott

http://home.earthlink.net/~meadorsfam/index.htm

This thread: