SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHERN-UNIONIST > 2001-03 > 0985963717

From: "jmize" <>
Subject: Re: ANDERSONVILLE
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:48:37 -0800

Excellent response to Josie's concerns.

Is there a "single-source" survey of all the POW camps during the CW ? If
not, perhaps you can develop one.

One of my grandparents died at Point Lookout Prison, MD, a month after the
war was over (of dysentery). Wonder how much death was due to the same
diseases that ravaged the camps vs death from starvation-mistreatment. I
know it was common practice to put prisoners on half-rations during that
time period. Those southern soldiers who became "galvanized yankees" were
motivated by the prospect of getting full rations if they go fight the
frontier Indians. It turned out to be a good choice for most.

Joel Mize