SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHERN-UNIONIST > 2002-09 > 1033309426

From: (Barbara Hardin Barkes)
Subject: Re: [S.Un] Fw: Candles in the Chambers
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:23:49 -0500 (CDT)

--WebTV-Mail-12916-4156

thanks for that

BBarkes

clay co ms

--WebTV-Mail-12916-4156

From: "Joel Palmer" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:12:54 -0500
Subject: [S.Un] Fw: Candles in the Chambers

A great American often shared his favorite story this way: "Nearly one hundred years ago there was a day of remarkable gloom and darkness, still known as the Dark Day... a day when the light of the sun was slowly extinguished as if by eclipse. The Legislature of Connecticut was in session and as the members saw the unexpected and unaccountable darkness coming on, they shared in the general awe and terror. It was supposed by many that the last day, the day of judgment, had come. Someone, in the consternation of the hour, moved adjournment.

Then there arose an old Puritan legislator, Davenport Stanford, who said, 'If the last day surely has come, then I desire to be found at my post of duty. I therefore move that candles be brought in so that the House may proceed with its business.'

"So my son, when in the conflict of life, when the clouds and darkness come, stand unflinchingly by your post; remain faithful to the discharge of your duty!"

Do you know who told that story and made that analogy? A man who lived his whole life by that concept of loyalty. He was a Caesar without the ambition, a Napoleon without the selfishness, and a Washington without the reward.

His name was Robert E. Lee.

--WebTV-Mail-12916-4156--

This thread: