SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHERN-UNIONIST > 2007-01 > 1169740715

From: Dean Barber <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] The Rock House
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:02:10 -0600

Don,

Clawhammer banjo is two-finger down stroke style of playing banjo that came
from the slaves, as the banjo has its origins in Africa. The three-finger
Scruggs style, so much associated with bluegrass today, is a rather recent
way of playing, starting in the 1940s.

I play the old-style, clawhammer, also known as frailing, a totally
different style and very similar to how the banjo would have been played
during the Civil War by minstrel musicians, slaves, soldiers and other
ne'er-do-wells.

I will get this CD off to you in the mail today. Please keep in mind that it
was recorded live with no retakes or overdubbing. I tell people that it took
us our third beer before we calmed down.

Please keep us in mind about the play. I think the boys would probably like
to participate in that. Anything to get our message out -- that there were
in fact southerners in blue. Take care,

Dean