SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHERN-UNIONIST > 2007-01 > 1169740715

From: Dean Barber <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] The Rock House
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:02:10 -0600
In-Reply-To: <BAY107-DAV462C84652BA99C1D7C0B7BEA30@phx.gbl>

Don,

Clawhammer banjo is two-finger down stroke style of playing banjo that came
from the slaves, as the banjo has its origins in Africa. The three-finger
Scruggs style, so much associated with bluegrass today, is a rather recent
way of playing, starting in the 1940s.

I play the old-style, clawhammer, also known as frailing, a totally
different style and very similar to how the banjo would have been played
during the Civil War by minstrel musicians, slaves, soldiers and other
ne'er-do-wells.

I will get this CD off to you in the mail today. Please keep in mind that it
was recorded live with no retakes or overdubbing. I tell people that it took
us our third beer before we calmed down.

Please keep us in mind about the play. I think the boys would probably like
to participate in that. Anything to get our message out -- that there were
in fact southerners in blue. Take care,

Dean

> From: Quarry Press <>
> Reply-To: <>
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:38:07 -0600
> Subject: Re: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] The Rock House
> Sounds great, Dean. My address is P.O. Box 181736, Dallas, TX 75218. I'd be
> glad to hear from the sons of Anak (I do not know what a clawhammer banjo
> looks like--it sounds kind of dangerous.) and also to meet Timothy Hogan. The
> day after the 1999 descendant reunion of the First Alabama, a bunch of us went
> down to the rock house together. It is a hard place to find.
> FYI. I have written a stage play adaptation of "Southerners in Blue." It was
> originally going to be produced at Looney's Tavern, but then they went out of
> business. There is a group in northwest Alabama that is considering putting
> on the play the weekend of May 5. (And that is why I would be in Alabama.)
> If they do, there would be the possibility of involvement by the First Alabama
> re-enactors, both before the play and as actors during one particular part of
> the play. I think everyone would have a good time with this--both the audience
> and the re-enactors. I should know within the next couple of weeks whether
> this group is going to do the play. If yes, I'll get with you guys to see if
> you are interested.
> Don
> From: Dean Barber<mailto:>
> To: <mailto:>
> Cc: Timothy Hogan<mailto:>
> Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:14 AM
> Subject: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] The Rock House
> Don,
> I would very much like to see you in May and go to the Rock House. Members
> of the 1st Alabama (the reenactors) have been to the Rock House probably
> more than five years ago, but when we searched for it this past fall, we
> could not find it. So thanks for very much for the directions.
> By the way, one of our members -- a school teacher here in Birmingham and a
> fine fiddler player to boot named Timothy Hogan -- has started a draft on a
> novel from the point of view of a 12-year-old boy, one of the Curtis
> brothers. Timothy's family hails from Winston and Walker counties and there
> are Hogans in the 1st. I believe he is a descendant.
> So far, so good, as he has asked me to preliminarily edit what he has done
> so far. Maybe Timothy will share with you his work, to get your opinion,
> when you are here in May. I will make sure that he reads your novel in the
> meantime. I really enjoyed your book.
> Give me your mailing address and I will send you a home-made CD of the Sons
> of Anak. It's our old-time Appalachian string band. Timothy again plays
> fiddle; I play clawhammer banjo and another fellow, Jerry Anderegg plays
> guitar. We play at dances and reenacting events here in Alabama.
> Good to hear from you.
> Dean
>> From: Quarry Press <<mailto:>>
>> Reply-To:
>> <<mailto:>>
>> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:48:05 -0600
>> To: <<mailto:>>
>> Subject: Re: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] Non-white Regiments in SC Question
>> Yes, I have, Dean, several times. In fact, I believe it was through the
>> grace
>> of God that I originally stumbled upon it. I was doing research for
>> "Southerners in Blue" and my cousin was taking me to the rock bluff where it
>> was believed that Sanford Trammel met with several hundred potential Union
>> enlistees and those who signed up all became members of Trammel's Company L.
>> On the way there, I showed my cousin the place in the autobiography of our
>> great grandfather, John R. Phillips, where he mentioned the men hiding out in
>> a rock house. We talked about it and finally decided that it was simply a
>> house that had been constructed of rock.
>> We then went to the rock bluff and we were walking around on it. If you walk
>> around on the bluff and you come to the edge of it facing the valley below,
>> there is a sheer drop-off of 20, 30 and even 40 or so feet. While my cousin
>> was resting, I walked to the far edge of the rock bluff and found a place
>> where there wasn't a sheer drop, and I was able to walk down toward the
>> valley. I took a sharp right and walked along the edge of the bluff and
>> eureka! There was a place that was something like the large opening of a
>> cave
>> with the rock bluff above serving as the roof. I walked into it and found
>> that it went all the under the rock bluff for 60 or 70 feet and also was open
>> at the other end. It then occurred to me that this was the rock house. Of
>> course, I didn't discover this place--all the local people know about it.
>> But
>> I was able to make the connection to the hiding place mentioned in the
>> Phillips' autobiography. Its location is consistent with other details
>> mentioned!
>> in the autobiography--for example, it was on land near the Natural Bridge
>> that was owned by Buck West.
>> Here is how to get there: South of Haleyville and near Natural Bridge, there
>> is a gravel road that angles off the main road. This gravel road is the old
>> Byler Road. Down that road less than a half mile is Concord Baptist Church
>> that has a cemetery both beside it and across the road from it. (The
>> cemetery
>> contains the remains of Green B. West, who served in the First Ala. Cav.)
>> There is a path that you can pick up behind the church that takes you down to
>> the rock bluff. Then if you walk to the far end of the bluff, you will find
>> a
>> place where you can walk down off the bluff. When you do, follow the rock
>> formation to the right to get to the rock house.
>> I may be over that way in early May. If yes, maybe we could get a group
>> together and go down there. What do you think?
>> Don
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Dean Barber<mailto:<mailto:>>
>> To:
>> <mailto:<mailto:s
>> %3Cmailto:>>
>> Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:56 AM
>> Subject: Re: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] Non-white Regiments in SC Question
>> I often need an interpreter and Don correctly understood my point. Don,
>> have
>> you ever been to the Rock House, a place where unionists would hide in
>> northwest Alabama on their way to Mississippi to join the federal army? --
>> Dean
>>> From: dee
>>> <<mailto:<mailto:huggins_h
>>> %3Cmailto:>>>
>>> Reply-To:
>>> <<mailto:<mailto
>>> :%3Cmailto:>>>
>>> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:39:05 -0800 (PST)
>>> To:
>>>
>>> --- Quarry Press
>>> <<mailto:<mailto:%3
>>> Cmailto:>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Dee, I think the point here is that South Carolina
>>>> was the only Confederate state that did not have a
>>>> Union regiment. Below, Dean was referring to white
>>>> (Union) regiments as opposed to Union regiments that
>>>> were comprised of former slaves, such as the First
>>>> Alabama African-Descent Regiment, a Union outfit.
>>>> Does this answer your question.
>>>>
>>>> Best wishes, Don Umphrey
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
_____________________________________________________________________________>>
> _
>>> ______
>>> Have a burning question?
>>> Go to
>>> www.Answers.yahoo.com<http://www.answers.yahoo.com/<http://www.answers.yahoo
>>> .com%3chttp//www.answers.yahoo.com/>> and get answers
>>> from real people who know.
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> <mailto:
>>> s<mailto:%3Cmailto:SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-r
>>> >
>>> web.com> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> <mailto:
>> w<mailto:%3Cmailto:SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-re
>> >
>> eb.com> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the
>> body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> <mailto:
>> web.com> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> <mailto:
> eb.com> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the
> body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message