SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHERN-UNIONIST > 2008-10 > 1223382520

From: Ryan Dupree <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] Corinth, Camp Davies and Camp Glendale
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 07:28:40 -0500 (CDT)

You want the approximate age of all who were in Co L in 1864 in accordance
to their age in muster rolls? I can have that to you this evening if you
like...

Sherman talked alot about the teenagers, both north and south, and the
"effort" that they put into making war. In the south, many of these bands
of teenagers that he was facing were not mustered into service, or really
home guard, but were teens out to make war....and they reveled in it.

-Ryan

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 wrote:

> Don,
>
> Good point, and that certainly is a possibility. Considering your ideas
about a good number of them being teenagers, it would be good to look
back at the roster and see if we can establish ages. I know that with a
lot of Southern families there were rifts between fathers and sons
regarding the whole idea of secession. My experience has been that the
fathers were typically anti-secesh and the sons got carried away in the
secesh movement. Of course, in this case, if most of them were teenagers,
it would challenge this approach. This is why I am wondering if?most
actually were teenagers or were older men. This is exactly the type of
historical analysis I like to see.