SOUTHERN-UNIONIST-L Archives

Archiver > SOUTHERN-UNIONIST > 2008-10 > 1223383171

From: Ryan Dupree <>
Subject: Re: [SOUTHERN-UNIONIST] Corinth, Camp Davies and Camp Glendale
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 07:39:31 -0500 (CDT)

Here, here, well spoken Robert. You also can't forget Wheeler first
plundered Columbia, South Carolina in advance of the Federals. And once
they got there, with a mixture of Alcohol and rage, both men in blue and
grey were seen around town making fire out of the place (and putting it
out).

I also have a handfull of diaries of people who feared the CS army just as
much because they were living through much of the war in the same way that
Sherman's army lived on the march to the sea....without much in the terms
of food stores and supplies....The confederate army, especially in the
west, had to live off the land to survive.

Finally, something to consider, too, is the fact that on its retreat in
front of the Union army across Georgia and the Carolinas, the confederates
were doing some distruction of their own, trying to prevent food, animals,
forage, etc fall into federal hands and aid them in their advance. I also
believe that it was Wheeler who had a communication with Sherman insisting
that he (Wheeler) would stop burning all the cotton bales in front of
Sherman's advance if Sherman would agree to some concessions. Of course,
sherman, not interested in the cotton but rather an end to the war,
instructed Wheeler to go ahead and torch it because he was not interested
in the trade of cotton.

So, it is true that there could be enough blame to go around, but really,
there isn't. What we, in the 21st century can't understand is that war is
not supposed to be fun, hugs, and kisses. We lost this some time after
WWII.

They, both sides, did what it took....no matter what....to stop the war.

-Ryan