SPENCE-BLUFORD-L Archives

Archiver > SPENCE-BLUFORD > 2005-01 > 1105596852

From: brenda guertin <>
Subject: looking for descendants for DNA testing
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:14:26 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

The recent discussions on the list about DNA testing reminded me that my grandmother had four brothers, and that some of their male descendants might be members of the Spence-Bluford list. I am hoping to locate a male descendant who is willling to be tested, and I will be glad to help pay for the test. This seems like possibly the only way to get past a brick wall, so please let me know if you are descended from any of the following Spence great uncles, all of whom were in the Hopkins County KY area:

Norman Lester Spence, b. 19 Jul 1886, d. June 1960 (believe he had daughters only)
Forest Henry Spence, b. 31 Jan 1892, d. 31 Jan 1960 or 18 Mar 1960
Charles Wesley Spence, b. 14 Feb 1897, d. 7 Aug 1966
Lucien Everett Spence, b. 19 Jun 1906, d. 28 Apr 1980

The father of these Spence males was Charles Johnson Spence, b. 15 Aug 1859, Lawrence Co KY, d. 9 Aug 1907 in Henderson Co KY. Charles's father was John Spence, b. abt. 1830 in Virginia, m. Martha Jane McGlothlin 1 Sep 1855 in Johnson Co KY, d. 1887 in Martin Co KY. This is where the trail goes cold. According to my grandmother, John's father was Amon Spence, but now much is known about him, including whether or not this information is correct.

I will certainly appreciate any help, clues, or ideas anyone can share. Thank you.

Brenda Guertin

This thread: